1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem converting scanned document to Word. Help?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by AlecinOz, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AlecinOz

AlecinOz Thread Starter

Hi,
    I scanned a form that needs to be completed to my PC (Windows XP). For some reason I cannot "edit"it. I am using Omni 2, on Canon MP450 hardware. I have been able to scan and edit documents in the past but something has gone skew F!!! I want to convert the form to WORD. Can anyone help?

Alec

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    This takes some OCR software ... Optical Character Recognition.
    Your OCR may not convert to "WORD"

Can you attach or link us to the scanned image ??

3. slipe

slipe

I have no idea what Omni 2 is. OmniPage is up to version 15 and I installed OmniPage 9 on a new Win98 first edition computer in 1998. Could you be more clear about what Omni 2 is and whether you accessing the scanner through it?

Later versions of Omnipage are forms capable and should do a decent job of maintaining the formatting. Earlier versions like my old version 9 required a pricier forms version. I don’t think any of the OCR software that comes with scanners will maintain the formatting of a form well enough that you can fill it out and return it as the original form. If you have a later version of OmniPage I know it exports to Word.

I usually just scan forms as a TIFF and use the text tool in my image editor. The form is exactly like the original and looks typed if you use courier font.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Like slipe, I was confused by your Omni 2 reference. If you are using MS-Word 2003 as part of an MS-Office package, you have the option of installing MS-Office Scanning and Imaging tools that can do the OCR conversion to Word.

5. AlecinOz

AlecinOz Thread Starter

Thanks for getting back to me. OK. This is gonna be embarrassing. The name of the software is ScanSoft Omni Page SE 2.0 (a far cry from version 15!!) It came with the computer, I guess as part of the "package" and, as I don't scan much..... I have'nt seen the need to upgrade. This probably explains why the suggestions from some others to download a couple of patches from Microsoft did'nt help any. Slipe has hit the nail on the head tho. It was a form I was scanning but I could'nt fill the form in, hence the question. Ironically, it's an integral part of a job application and if I had a job I could perhaps upgrade my software! :):) Anyway I filled it in by hand. Again thanks (U 2 Slipe).
    Alec

6. slipe

slipe

SE is evidently a lite version they bundle with scanners. The full version of OmniPage probably costs more than you paid for your scanner/printer. I wouldn’t think the SE version would do forms and keep everything looking like the original but editable.

The image editor approach is faster and works better for filling out a form. I’ve never done it, but I’ve always been tempted to lighten some of the letters in the courier font to make it look like I used an old fashioned typewriter.

Good luck with the job.

7. Don1234

Don1234

This doesn't solve the problem Omni 2; but, for completing forms I use Paperport which you can scan into, store, fill our forms, save as a PDF and convert to Word. It is an economical solution I use frequently.

8. AlecinOz

AlecinOz Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll take a look at image and Paperport.

Alec

9. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
  10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590138

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice