1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problem copying data to an external device

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blitzkreig, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blitzkreig

blitzkreig Thread Starter

hello,
    i recently bought a seagate freeagent goflex 1tb portable hdd, when i connect this to my desktop and copy some file from my local hard drive it says it could not copy the file because the device is not ready, this problem doesnt occur when i connect the portable hdd to my laptop. it has something to do with my desktop pc. please help me diagnose this issue.

2. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane

Plug it in and check device manager for potential problems. Run > devmgmt.msc. Sounds like a device problem.

3. blitzkreig

but this problem doesnt occur on my laptop.... it runs well

4. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane

Yes, I see. So there must be a problem with the desktop drivers. Try their website for a driver update :)

5. blitzkreig

i did install the software that came with the portable, it didnt help :(

6. blitzkreig

bump
    any more solutions?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, first of all, there are NO drivers needed for a usb type external drive in any modern os. XP, Vista, Win7, Win2k all have native support for external usb type drives.

The suggestion to check device mgr is a good one. Post a screenshot of device manager. Next do other usb type devices work in this system?

BTW using the included software that often comes with these external drives is asking for problems [IMO] If you want to simply backup files, then just copy them. If you want to backup the complete system drive, then the only thing to use is acronis true image. Either way you do not need the included software [unless it has a free version of acronis like WD offers]

8. blitzkreig

ok, here is some update, my pc technician came and did something (dont know what lol), so things are working for now. will get back incase i encounter this issue again. thanks for your patience :)

9. blitzkreig

ok, i take my words back, the problem still persists. :( need help desperately

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Is it working now or not?
    If not, post a screenshot of device manager.

11. blitzkreig

not working,
    i have a power surge issue on my usb ports.... none of my usb devices function properly. I guess i'm facing problems because of the power surge.

Attached Files:

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, at least you have found your problem. If you are using the mb in your computer specs [msi] then it gives you an excuse to get a quality board such as asus or gigabyte.

If you do not want to get another board, you could just disable ALL usb ports and install a pci usb card like this one.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...5108012&cm_re=usb_card-_-15-108-012-_-Product

Also make sure you have a quality pw supply such as corsair, seasonic, pcpower&cooling, etc. A poor quality pw supply can cause all types of mb problems.

13. blitzkreig

ok, i will try this solution and get back within a few days.

14. blitzkreig

how do i go about installing it?

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It comes with a user manual however generally you are going to shutdown and insert the card. Pw ON and see if the os has a native driver for the device. If it does, it will load the driver and you are good to go. If not, then you will have to load the driver from a support CD or perhaps download it from the device maker's site.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972595

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice