1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem copying OS disks

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Boothbay, Nov 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Boothbay

Boothbay Account Closed Thread Starter

Acer sent me 4 cd disks that are known as Recovery 1, 2 and another known as Language disk and a fourth that just says 64bit. As a net book owner, there is no cd burner included. ..so in the event of a crash and etc. I have no way of getting these disks acknowledged..until I bought an external enclosure for my 40 gig hard drive. I am trying to copy these disks to my enclosure HD, which in turn allows me to insert into the usb port with that enclosure to reinstall the OS...but the first two disks have almost identical folder names...so after doing the first one, i get a message that the second one would overwrite the previous titles cause they are identical...do i want to continue...of course not. I don't think i can rename the folders of the second one to get by in the event that i need to install disk 1 and possibly be requested to add disk 2. I do have the backup on my net book ..but how would i be able to use that if it crashes? I wish others who have the Acer win7 net books would tell me how they are going about it. Any suggestions?

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Copying the contents of the disks to an external hard drive isn't going to allow you to boot from that drive and actually run the restore.

3. Boothbay

Why is that? Then why does the vendor recommend to make a copy of it as soon as i can?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Why is what? Why is a boot disk not bootable when you copy the files to a hard drive? 'Cause it's not. That's not how boot disks work. You were probably advised to make a copy by duplicating each disk to another disk.

There may be some USB flash drive utilities that can take the disks and make them bootable on a flash drive, but I've never done it. Otherwise, buy an external optical drive.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you buy an external optical drive make sure it can read DVDs, 'cause I have serious doubts those Recovery disks are CDs.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Even if they were made bootable, there is no mechanism built in to switch from one disk to the next during recovery, so it's just not going to work.

Since you have an external drive, set your system up the way you want it and make a complete system image instead. With the first one in the list (and some others, too, but sometimes not easily) you can create a bootable USB key to restore the image from your external drive to your internal one, or even a new drive if the internal fails.

You can burn the image file to DVD's or BluRay disks if you want.

Make periodic images after the first and you can restore to more recent points, too, so that you don't need to go all the way back to the beginning.

Once you have a safe and secure image and a backup of it, you can even get rid of your recovery partition and expand the space on your drive. Then make a new image of that setup, and so on. The more often you image, the better so you have recent backups, but you can always keep the original from the very beginning.

Free drive backup software (imaging, cloning, and archiving - backups can be created on a second hard drive, internal or external, or on DVD's, or BluRay disks. One BluRay disk will hold most peoples' entire system drive's backup at 25 GB's using compressed images - 50 GB's double-layer):

Paragon Backup & Recovery (Recovery boot CD or USB key)
    Macrium Reflect (Free)
    O&O Disk Image Express
    Easeus Todo Backup
    Redo Backup & Recovery (Boot CD)
    Comodo Time Machine (Complete system, files, programs, and settings restoration, but not "bare-metal" for failed drive)
    Clonezilla Live (A bootable CD of Debian with Clonezilla.)
    Drive Image XML
    PING (Partimage is not Ghost) (Boot CD with option Clam Antivirus)
    Partition Saving
    Clonezilla
    Passmark OSFClone (Bootable, cloning only)

There are also many commercial products with more features.

7. Boothbay

Elvandil: I have the Ghost pr ogram...though never used it...perhaps that could do an image file...I'll check it out...btw...what is the difference, if any, of an external optical drive and a drive that is enclosed into a closure, like i have?
    Terrynet: it saids on the disk CD recovery disk #1

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    By "optical drive" (internal or external) we mean one that can read and/or write CDs and/or DVDs. It's just the device, and you have to supply the removable media.

Your "drive that is enclosed into a closure" is, as you stated, a hard drive--a device and media that are permanently linked. The enclosure can be thought of as a special adapter which allows us to use a hard drive as if it were a USB device.

Guess I can't argue about that. :) But I'm surprised. They must have far better compression than when we make a set of Recovery disks from a Recovery partition.

9. Rockn

Rockn

You can make a USB drive bootable and also put ISO images of your disks on the USB drives and boot those ISO images. I just did this last week to boot an acronis ISO for backing up some Netbooks. You can do the same to any other bootable CD. Here is the basic gist of how to do it with Grub4DOS
    http://www.themudcrab.com/acronis_grub4dos.php

10. Boothbay

Thanks for those so called "Free" programs...I just spent money on a hard drive, a 16gb USB, also this new net book and now I have to 'buy' a free program to make me do a backup? Sick of the way they throw that word "Free'' around these days..But like they say.".if its too good to be true..." just for the record, are any of those ( I just tried 2 Paragon and Macrium on that list ) a 100% free?

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

They're both completely free. You must be clicking on other versions or banner ads. Look more closely at what you're clicking on.

12. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
  13. Boothbay

hey're both completely free. You must be clicking on other versions or banner ads. Look more closely at what you're clicking on.>>>

I clicked on the links that Elvandel listed...if you suspect they are not the right ones, why not give me the llink then? Thanks Macruim says its free for 30 days only...

14. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

15. Boothbay

Why is it when i go to those links, it says scan first, clear errors and etc. plus, one of them says 30 day free trial....so where is the free come in? Why can't there be a download link that has none of that?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028428

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice