1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem decoding Word on CD

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Frosty7, Jul 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frosty7

Frosty7 Thread Starter

I have a Windows XP operating system.
    I'm a writer and tried to save a folder with both other folders and individual chapters to a CD-RW. The resulting CD has some of the chapters beginning with wavy lines or wavy lines and dollar marks and some ending with .tmp instead of .doc.
    When I try to open the chapters with wavy lines and dollar marks, I get a message about selecting a code. When I choose the Windows option, I still get code. Other items in the folder open just fine and the titles appear as they should. The .tmp files open just fine. It's just the ones with the wavy lines plus the dollar mark that stay in code. I don't understand the discrepancy or what I did to cause this or how to fix it to access these files.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The ones starting with ~ (it's called a tilde) are scratch files used by Word whil the file is open, they are not designed to be saved or used.

When Word closes they are deleted, unless Word crashes, when they can be used as part of the recovery process when Word restarts.

They may exist only because the documents were open when the CD was created, or that a previous Word crash left them as orphans.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593265

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice