Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Problem: "Disk Boot Failurs, Insert System Disk and Press Enter"

937 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  GALeeDude 
#1 ·
Hi there,

Well, the message I get it pronounced above in the title. I know a little bit about computers, but I don't know how to get into DOS, BIOS, etc when I don't have a start menu to do so. I read some other threads and they seemed to have useful information, but I would need further explanation. Also - I hooked my HD into another computer to see if it would work, it did, booted up, everything. Also, when I went into Boot Setup or something - blue screen and the only thing I could do when hooked into my computer - it doesn't show any options for booting - it says select from the list - but how do I do that when there's nothing in the list? Oh please do help me as this computer is my main source for writing.

Thanks,
Jimmy

#2 ·
If you're running a HP what it's asking for is your System Restore Disk. Meaning the HP OS that came with your system. Finding Bios in HP are generally simultaneously with Start button on casing F1 or F11. If neither key works then try F2 and or the Delete button. Making sure each key is pushed as you boot up.
Once your in Bios use the arrow keys to scroll up and down your bios - the enter key once on the various listing in menu until you find your boot sequence listings. In general plus and minus are used to change the sequence. CDrom HD and floppy is the correct setting. But with your Restore Disk from HP it might not even require all that.
Pop it is and Boot up and see if it works. Then try the Bios sequence if you can get there, the F10 to save and enter making sure your CD with the OS is in your CDRom when you do.
Let us know as things go...Jazz
Sounds like you've either lost your OS or you've lost your HD.

#3 ·
I hooked up the hard drive to another CPU and found that it worked perfectly - no problem really with the operating system. I load the thing that says to choose a boot up devise - but there's nothing in the list. I'm at a loss - and I hope you don't feel as though I didn't take your advice to heart - but I must have left those things out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.