1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem Extending C Drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by roccocastoro, Nov 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. roccocastoro

roccocastoro Thread Starter

I made the mistake of making my C Drive with the operating system files on it only 20GB. Windows install and updates brought it down to about 4GB. Now I think updates, cookies, temp files, etc will cause this drive to fill and become slow and not be able to operate. I have my personal files on a seperate partition B: and i have 20GB unallocated space.

I made this space for the C Drive, but in Disk Managment, the option to extend C is Greyed out even though there's free Unallocated space. I Tried Disk Part but it said that C Volume needed contingous space or something, isnt that the 20gb of unallocated. Please help me, I just reinstalled WIndows 7 and don't want to have to re-install again.

How can I Extend/Expand this Drive?????

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

Follow this guide to run the Disk Clean up: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Delete-files-using-Disk-Cleanup

Your Win 7 install seems to have taken up a lot more space than usual, you may find a file called Windows.old in C:\Windows that has copies of all your original data and will be occupying a lot of space.

This free partition software should allow you to change the partition sizes if need be.

Download Gparted from here and follow these instructions.
    I would advise you to make a full back up of all your important data before making any changes, just in case something goes wrong.

Keep hitting enter during boot up to choose the default settings, you only need to enter anything when it asks for your language preference.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Windows Disk Management has a lot of shortcomings, but it should be able to resize a partition larger. How about a screen shot of the Disk Management window?

I also use and recommend Gparted, but a lot of times you can also use something like EASEUS Partition Master within Windows when Disk Management comes up short.

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

The unallocated space needs to be next to your C: partition in Disk management. If there is another partition sitting between C: and the Unallocated space you will not be able to extend C:

5. Mark1956

Mark1956

Ah yes, I was forgetting that and I am not sure if Gparted will be able to extend a partition unless the space is next to it but Paragon disc manager will take the space from anywhere. You'll have to google that to find it and I'm not sure if they do a free version.

One final bit af advice is to make sure you back up all your important data before changing partitions just in case something goes wrong.

6. Mark1956

Mark1956

7. roccocastoro

So how do I make the Unallocated Space become next to drive C, because you're right. It is not.

8. Mark1956

Mark1956

You can't, at least not easily, but with Paragon it doesn't matter where the space is.

It might also be possible with the free Easeus software that TerryNet posted but its one I have never used.

9. roccocastoro

Thanks, I think I'll try Paragon. Windows needs to step up their game if Paragon has got it down. I hope it's safe though.

Thanks for your helps, Happy Turkey Day!

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    With Easeus or GParted you can move partitions. So if you have, say, C (20 GB), E (100 GB) and unallocated (30 GB) you can move E to the right as much as 30 GB resulting in C (20 GB), unallocated (30 GB) and E (100 GB). Then you can resize C.

11. Diablo5670

Diablo5670

Another option that you could try that I personally like is using Partition Commander from www.avanquest.com
    Throw that program on to your machine and just add the extra space to the partition next to your C: partition and then resize your C: partition using the extra space.
    If not then I suggest using Paragon or EaseUS.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028269

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice