Problem from new case installation

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

westbroma

I recently got a new case, and after removing everything, and installing them into the new case, I get a blank screem. The computer appears to be booting, but the monitor goes straight into standby mode when I turn it on. Whilst I had the case open, I installed a new Heatsink fan on my 9800 Pro, which I thought may have been the problem, but I have used an old 4000XT, which was previously housed in this computer. Still, blank monitor.

I've already tried it with just the old 4000XT in, without soundcard and 9800 Pro (The old one is PCI :oops: ), should i Try it with just one stick of RAM as well, or without the HDD connected.

I don't think it is a broken monitor, as when i remove the cable from the gfx, i get a 'no signal' error on the monitor.

Any ideas on what it could be?

Are you getting a post beep? *make sure system speaker is plugged in*

If so,

Reseat RAM, make sure it clicks when you put it in.
Reseat graphics card.

If not,

Unplug everything but mobo, cpu, one stick of good ram. See if it will post. Slowly plug back in one thing at a time and try to boot to find the problem hardware.

your motherboard might be shorting out on one of the motherboard stands in the case. try removing the board from the case and see if it boots. make sure there is no metal touching the board. hopefully this helps.

westbroma

Right, I have removed everything apart from mobo, CPU and a stick of Ram, still no beep. I have tried all three ram modules indivually as well. I've checked with the mobo manual, and the speaker pins appear to be in the right place, and the wiring looks intact.

I'm gonna try bigtuna's idea now, bbs.

westbroma

Yay! I put the mobo on top of a cardboard box ontop of the case, and i got a beep!

westbroma

I've put the old 4000XT in, and beeps, but my monitor still shows nothing and goes straight into standby mode.

It couldn't possible be something with the monitor could it?

Try a different monitor, or hook up a working PC to the monitor. I don't think its bad though.

Some other things to try would be try different known to be working RAM, and different known to work video card.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online