1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem getting any Audio to work!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sescob, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sescob

sescob Thread Starter

I have no idea what to do! All of the sudden my PC has absolutely no audio working!! I can't listen to CD's, Video or get any of the normal sound effects that I hear when booting up the system.

This past week I've installed a new firewire card and installed software to go with my new iPod. I've since uninstalled MusicMatch from my PC. Still no audio.

Where do I begin to fix this? I know my speakers work.

I am running Windows XP Pro.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

2. Cookies

Cookies

Sounds like you obtained a bad driver. Log in as the xp administrator and navigate to the device manager...

Start/(settings)/control panel/system/hardware/device manager. Expand the '+' branch left of sound video and game controllers.
    Do you see a yellow exclamation mark or red x? If so highlight, right click it, and left click to update driver. Follow the prompts.

If that fails, try the same, right click, then left click troubleshoot and follow the prompts.

Make sure you have a sound icon lower right, too. If not, let me know.

I have a an iPod and have some advice once you resolve your sound issue on how best to sync your iPod.

PS:Welcome :)

3. sescob

sescob Thread Starter

Ok, I only have a yellow exclamation point next to the iPod under 'disk drives'. Do I do the same for that and update the driver??

Also, I do not have a sound icon on the lower right.

Thanks for your help!

4. Cookies

Cookies

Yes, do the same. Try right clicking iPod under the Disk drive (Apple Computer_Inc iPod IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device), left click properties; Driver tab, click on "update driver"/next.

If that fails, we'll find a better driver for you.

G :)

5. sescob

sescob Thread Starter

it's fixed! :D I could not update the driver as it told me no other one was available for the iPod. So, I just uninstalled the iPod. I rebooted and then updated the driver for my SB Live soundcard. Next I rebooted and then re-installed my iPod. As soon as I rebooted all the system sounds were there and all my audio capabilities are back.

THANKS!

You said you had some tips for synching the iPod? :) Right now I am using Media Center 9. I like it better than MMJ so far.

6. Cookies

Cookies

Wonderful! Set a restore point so you can save your hard work :)

Start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore/create a restore point. Name it/create/next. Reboot if prompted.

Now for synching/moving music files head for ephpod.

http://www.ephpod.com/

Page down to "Download EphPod for Windows 2000/NT/XP [Mac and Windows iPods]

Edit:
    [Download the latest EphPod for Windows 2000/NT/XP [Mac and Windows iPods]

7. sescob

sescob Thread Starter

Oh, good idea! I did not think to do a restore point. I will do that now!

Yep, I've heard of ephod. I may try that after my MC9 trial is over if I don't want to pay for it. ;) Soo many options to try! I'm overwhelmed by all the goodies on ipodlounge.com (great forum there!).

8. Cookies

Cookies

Of course. It's free and has a much nicer gui. After fighting with Musicmatch I ditched mmjb and headed for ephpod.

Happy iPoding :)

PS: Get the $20 fm modulator; you won't be sorry!

PSS: I hang my hat on iPodlounge too :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168116

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice