1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problem getting canon scanner working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yamaha22, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yamaha22

yamaha22 Thread Starter

i bought a canon lide210 scanner and i'm having trouble getting it to work.

my computer is running on windows XP pro service pack 3

when i install everything from drivers to software and i try to scan something i can hear the scanner working but when scanning is finished it displays a black page

i am using the windows xp drivers i found from the canon website and i am using the newest ones as well
    some that are as new as january 17th

i went to the store and exchanged my first lide210 with another and they both have the same problem so i'm positive it's not a hardware defect.

very frustrating.

i hope someone can help me

Thankyou!

2. bp936

bp936

WElcome to TSG.
    Do you first being up the Canon program, my old Canon called it Canoscan, the new one calls it My Navigator, I do not know the name of your model, but you should be able to start with Canon's program to tell to scan.

How do you do your scanning? You hear it, but can you see if the lamp is working?
    What brings up the black page? Is there any settings in that program?

Does your scanner show up in Device Manager?

3. yamaha22

yamaha22 Thread Starter

there is a program called mp navigator ex 4.0
    (and another called solution menu ex)

my model is fairly new i think

i can scan with the program. i click scan and i hear the scanner. if i open the scanner there is no light but i can see it working.
    every time the scan is over it gives me a black page.

my scanner shows up in device manager as it's supposed to.

there doesn't seem to be many options/ preferences i can choose to change. i'll look for more,

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If the light is not lit when it is running, then the scanner is not going ot give you a scan. If it is under warranty return it for one that works.

5. yamaha22

yamaha22 Thread Starter

oh crap.

i thought because:

LED indirect photo exposure scanning (LiDE),

that maybe it wouldn't be bright like my other scanner.

i'll take it back but this is ridiculous because every time we take the scanner back we lose our 10 warranty, hence forking over another tenner.

well, thankyou all that helped.

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Take it to them and have them test it on one of thier systems for you. If it works there, then you have a problem at your end (computer, Cable or Software).

7. bp936

bp936

yes, that is why I asked about the light, one usually can see a tiny bit of light when the scanner is moving the light. That black page is what worried me.
    I agree, bring it back.

8. yamaha22

yamaha22 Thread Starter

thanks guys,
    i'm going to test it at my parents house. when i return it i might go for a different brand other than canon. i know they are respectable but this experience, i'm not to psyched on buying another dud

9. justarg

justarg

Hi I just bought the same scanner and I have that problem as well. Were you able to resolve the issue? Let me know how?

10. yamaha22

yamaha22 Thread Starter

yes i did get it to work. i plugged the usb cable straight into the computer. when it wasn't working it was plugged into a multi usb device...

hope that helps

:)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975850

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice