1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem getting my router's Config

Discussion in 'Networking' started by colombo187, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. colombo187

colombo187 Thread Starter

I can't seem to reach my router's setup page anylonger the problem began when I switched to bridged mode, I'm on campus and couldn't get the mac address registered, I now want to get a subnet behind the router but can't find the setup page. I've tried resetting the router, unplugging everything still no dice here's my ipconfig crap...

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : student-66zkdgu

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : nmsu.edu

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : nmsu.edu

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-20-ED-6A-EC-DA

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 128.123.84.116

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.254.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 128.123.84.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 128.123.3.5

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 128.123.3.5

Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 128.123.2.20

Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 128.123.2.30

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, February 03, 2005 10:32:15 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, February 06, 2005 10:32:15 PM

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

First off on a campus your not going to want to have this as a bridge. Your going to want to have it as a router. If your campus requires mac address configuration most routers support MAC address cloning so basically you take the MAC address of the PC the campus wants you to have on the network and put it into the router.

That way you let the router do the DHCP work and your PC's are being seen on their network as 1 MAC.

I would do a forced reset of your router back to factory defaults (there should be a hardware button somewhere to do that) then I would first address the PC connecting to the router get that working then work on the router connected to the supplied network (as a router not a bridge).

3. colombo187

Yeah I know I don't want the bridged mode, I got the mac address registered by spoofing the address on my machine, registering it then setting it back to the original, PROBLEM-I have tried to reset the the router by 1) unplugging eveything 2) inserting the paper clip into the little hole. But now what do I have to do? I tried pulling the cable out of the WAN port from the modem, and placing my windows box into it, I tried just removing the modem from the WAN port nothing seems to work It's a wireless router w/4 ethernet ports I placed it in bridged mode so that I could use the wireless for my laptop the connect to the internet, but have not been able to get into the config page since then :confused:

4. Rockn

Rockn

If you reset the router your settings are not for the campus network any longer or for the router. You need to be on the same network as the router to access the configuration.

5. colombo187

I'm not completely sure I follow - I reset the router, then what do I do to get on the same network as the router? I released & renewed the IP... Maybe I should have started the thread with 'I don't know much about networking systems' :eek:

6. colombo187

Hey rockn thanks for the lesson/tip I figured it out :cool: doing what you said, now I've got the lan part up as a dhcp server and I actually learned something thanks brotha'

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326706

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice