1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problem has me uber confused

Discussion in 'Networking' started by calibretto, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. calibretto

calibretto Thread Starter

i have cable internet which works fine on my desktop. the only problem is my labtop is twice as fast as the desktop. so i figure... easy solution... just hook the modem to the labtop. problem solved, eh? not so... when i hook the modem up, the labtop tells me there's a problem renewing my ip. i thought that there may be a problem w/ my labtop so i took it to my father's house and tried it on his modem, and it connected fine. i don't get it because it seems like there can't be a problem w/ the modem because it works fine w/ my desktop, and it also seems like there can't be a problem w/ my labtop because it works fine w/ my dad's modem. :confused: can anyone shed a little light on this for me?

calibretto

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When you change the device connected to a cable modem you (usually) need to power cycle it. Did you do so?

By the way, is that labtop similar to a laptop? :)

3. calibretto

yeah it's something similar to that. different brand tho. ;) on first connect it thinks for a bit and then decides that it can't renew my ip. so i tried repair. can't repair because it can't renew the ip. so i restart and get the same thing.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    My bad--I was not clear: when I said, "need to power cycle it," I meant to power cycle the MODEM.

5. calibretto

ah! didn't think of that at all. done and done. modem works w/ the laPtop now. it's a minor annoyance to have to power cycle the modem each time. i have to do it again when i hook it back into the desktop. but it works, so thanks.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. You may want to consider a router--wired or wireless--and be able to use either or both PCs without the power cycle routine.

7. calibretto

i actually had considered that. but the cost of routers swayed me away from it for now. i just wanted to hook the cable into my laptop because the couch is more comfy than the cheap computer chair. ;)

can you recommend any routers for me? preferrably wireless, and cheap wouldn't hurt much either.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In the US Belkin, D-Link, Linksys and Netgear are pretty similar and very suitable for home networks. Linksys is owned by Cisco and some people say their products are best.

If you get a newspaper with ads look for sales and rebates that will make your price for a 54Mbps "G" router about $20 - $30. Or search online for the same deals. Best Buy, Staples, Radio Shack, Amazon.com, etc.

9. calibretto

linksys would probably be the brand i'd go w/ just because they seem to be the only brand i can find. i haven't been able to check anywhere other than like walmart yet, but the cheapest i could find was i think around 60 bucks. but i'll check for rebates and such. thanks again.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436670

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice