1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem HD on a HP Pavilion dv7 laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gameman, Nov 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Here is my problem I have a HP Pavilion dv7 vista laptop with a 500GB HD that is just over a year old and hence out of warranty. I was checking the SMART and the drive says there are 11 Current Pending Errors but 0 reallocations (I used acronis drive monitor to check this). I also have been seeing "The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because of an IO failure on volume C". As far as I can tell it aborted doing a backup under system restore (shadow copies).

Now I haven't had any data loss or other problems with it. But I did a scan with HDDScan (http://hddscan.com/) and found two bad blocks. Actually I did more than one scan and it is consistent with those two blocks. So it looks like I have a problem drive. Of course I know that some drives might go like this for years without problems, and others die over night, you just never know. :/ I am backing up.

So the main question is, can I replace the HD on this laptop with a 2.5 SATA HD of my choice? Or am I stuck with ordering a replacement from HP?

Any thoughts/insights appreciated.

2. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

*bump*

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Absolutely order any sata hard drive you like, and I might add WD are the best IMHO these days. Be careful when you rermove the old drive as most laptops have a "caddy" or frame that is on the existing drive removed and placed on the new drive to fit in and work.

4. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Ah that is good to hear. I thought so, but someone recently told me that some OEM's "key" the hard drive so that restore disk's don't work on HD's not from the OEM and I wanted to make sure this was not the case with HP (thought I wouldn't be surprised if they did).

As for WD, I have preferred them for some time anyway actually. :)

5. hgvdriver

hgvdriver

You can replace with any other compatible HDD of your choice but it will be better if you order it form HP.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

No it won't it will be simply more expensive and most likely not as good a drive.

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

I wouldn't order anything from a manufacturer unless it was manufacturer proprietary and I couldn't get it anywhere else.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/962055

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice