1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem in compiling C++ with Sybase library in Cygwin

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by indianparadesi, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indianparadesi

indianparadesi Thread Starter

I have an application in Linux (Suse) to be ported in to Windows. Since the application is considerable big, instead of preferring to rewrite the code replacing Unix API calls to Windows calls, we opted for using CYGWIN.

We are able to compile simple program with Cygwin and the exe thus created runs effectively. But our application uses sybase library (.so files in Linux). We tried to compile our application with sybase .so file in CYGWIN but we have not succeeded. We tried to compile/link with sybase .dll (windows equivalent) and we are able to create the exe. but when running the exe, we are getting "STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION".

We tried to use a sample from sybase (EAServer) called arith.cpp. We are able to compile the code with Windows based VS IDE. but the same when compiled with CYGWIN, gives same "STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION" problem.

Please clarify if we can
    1) link .so (sybase easerver) in CYGWIN. if so how?
    2) link .dll in CYGWIN.
    3) how to avoid "STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION"

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

I would search for: porting C++ Sybase applications
    to find information, FAQs, etc. about doing what you are trying to do.

It sounds to me like you may need to port the database first, then the runtime libraries, then the application from Linux to Windows - but, I could be wrong about this.

Alternatively, I would think that the database could reside on a network node, and with proper networking support, the system libraries and networking calls could be done heterogeneously from one network node to another where each node may be running a different OS, e.g. Linux vs Windows.

-- Tom

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!