1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem in log in

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RX1, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RX1

RX1 Thread Starter

Hi All
    I just shifted my residence and was setting up a computer for my son
    This is a desktop , please dont ask me the configuration .Anyhow , while starting the CPU I get the following message
    If you can read this message Windows has successfully initialized this display adapter
    To use this adapter as part of the Desktop open display options in Control Panel and adjust settings
    The system does not allow me to go beyond that in the sense that even if I do esc or F1 etc I cannot get rid of the message
    How do I get to bypass this meassage so that I get to the COntrol panel
    Regards and help needed
    RX1

2. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Hmmm...

From what I understand, it goes through all its boot up stuff, hits Windows, and then that message and nothing further?

Are you able to log in using Safe Mode (tap F8 after you start your computer, and select Safe Mode from the list)? Does that message reappear?

3. RX1

RX1 Thread Starter

Hi
    I tried tighteing a few screws and tapping here and there judiciously but nothing works
    As I said we had relocated so I cant log in since then
    How ever I notice that the cursor appears on the screen after displaying the message spelled out earlier

Any way I can get in the safe mode or log in

Another week for my kid without the PC and he will ruin my laptop !

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Are you sure the monitor is connected to the right video card? If you have more then one you can get a message liek this with Windows 98.

5. RX1

RX1 Thread Starter

Hi All
    Nothing seems to work
    I am still getting the same message ,About the only other input is that cursor is displayed after the message
    Can i get through to the log in screen in any way

Regards

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    And you are sure that the monitor is connected to the correct conenction on the back of the computer?

7. RX1

RX1 Thread Starter

Hi All
    Now hear this
    I was finally able to get past that screen ( I suppose hitting one of the connections
    worked) and now the system goes through the standard routine of checking of the disk for errors as it says that the sys was not shut down properly last time ater that it comes to the log in screen and stops after displaying the user name and PWD , both the mouse and key board dint seem to be getting through
    I tried attaching a dfferent mouse and kep board and the system recongnized the new hardware but does not go past the user log in screen
    CTRL ATL DEL does not work as I suppose the connection between mouse/keyboard is not working

What should I do ?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Make sure the mouse and keyboard connections are not reversed - the plugs are physcially the same but can't be interchanged. ALso you MUST power off the system be plugging in the keyboard and mouse if they are NOT USB or you can damage the motherboard.

You can also try booting into Safe Mode by pressing F8 just as the Windows splash screen appears. If the keyboard works for this menu, or to get into the BIOS, then its a Windows problem and the hardware(mouse/keyboard/PS2 ports) is ok.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487707

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice