Problem installing 2000 on a Notebook with a USB Cd-ROM

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
Hello

First:
  1. My BIOS does not support booting from a USB device
  2. The Notebook does NOT have a CD-ROM
  3. I am able to access a USB CD-ROM with a bootdisk
  4. I've created 3 partitions, but only the second partition is working, because the harddisk is corrupt
  5. The partion is 7GB large and has the letter D

The Problems I've encountered:
  • I tried to start the ..\I386\winnt.exe but the setup doesn't see my Harddrive. Windows is unable to locate a appropriate drive with enough space.
  • Same as above happens when I run the winnt from the harddisk
  • The setup doesn't start at all when there is no CD-ROM driver loaded, so I cannot just use simple bootdisks

Well, what can I do?? I'd like to load the USB drivers during the bootsetup(using 4 bootdisk) but I do not know how. Does anyone have a idea how to get this installation going?

Thank you

Bye

See less See more
#2 ·
First off, is the laptop compatible with 2K? If the correct drivers for the hardware aren't available for 2K, you may be wasting your time.

If you can boot and recognize your CD-ROM with a boot floppy, I don't see what the problem is. Change directory the the I386 folder and run WINNT, the setup program. You should be able to partition and format the hard disk during the early part of the setup.

#4 ·
Hello

First thank you for helping

now :)

Yes the laptop is able to run 2000, because XP has been runnin on it before
I am able to access my USb Cd-ROM with a boot disk, and run winnt.
But this doesn't help...... the following happens.

I tried to install window 2000 on the D drive on the i386 directory. I typed winnt to install window 2000. A blue window popuped saying something setup needs to know where window 2000 files are located. Enter the path. and below this line a path D:\i386. I pressed enter. Then another blue window popuped saying setup did not detect smartdrive. Giving me two option below > Press F3 to exit or enter to continue without smartdrive. I pressed enter. Then, another blue window popuped, window 2000 required a hard drive of at least 212 mg of free disk space, and on the bottom saying setup was unable to locate such a drive with the required amount of free space. Press enter to exit!
Before I started winnt, I used fdisk and partitioned the harddisk in 3 parttitions. One of the partitions has 7 GB of space, and has been formated.

Now, I tried to start the windows setup by using the 4 Setup Bootdisks, but unfortunately I am not able to load the appropriate drivers(Pressing F6 during startup) and Windows stops the setup if it cannot find a CD-ROM

I am lost, but need to get this thing going.

Bye

#5 ·
Smart drive is necessary when installing from dos as you are doing. If you do not run smartdrv.exe prior to running the install, the install will take hours to complete. Do a search for smart drive, download it and put it on your boot disk. Before you start the install, type smartdrv.exe.

Now for your hd. Does the bios recognize the hd when your system starts? If you partitioned into three drives, your CD should be F. All primary and logical drives should be displayed before an optical drive. If you are having problems with your hd, I would do a zero fill or LLF before starting the install process. Let win2k setup partition and format during the install.

#6 ·
If for some reason the 2K setup won't run from the CD, but you can access it from DOS, there's an alternate plan.

Partition the drive into at least two sections, and format the second logical drive as FAT32 with your DOS boot. Copy the entire \I386 folder from the CD to this logical partition, and run the install from there.

BTW, crjdriver is 100% correct, if you don't run SMARTDRV before doing the install it's REALLY PAINFUL! :D

#7 ·
Hello again

OK I DO see all the drives, when I use a bootdisk with USB drivers on it. WIN2000 Setup does NOT see the drives(Harddisk).

I use smartdrv of course :) But thanks for pointing it out.

I tried to copy the files on the harddisk and run the installation, but I get the same messages as above.

I'll try to do it again, I may have use the FAT16 format.

Thanks........... if you haev any more ideas, I'd be happy :)
Bye

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.