1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem installing a belkin wireless adapter to a 98se

Discussion in 'Networking' started by alankearn, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alankearn

alankearn Thread Starter

My mother in law has come to live with us and brought her 98se computer with her.
    I have tried connecting the 98se to my Netgear g834 wireless set up using a Belkin Wireless G USB network adapter.
    Using the original installation CD for this Belkin adapter I find I cannot get the installation
    beyond this point (link below).

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/alankearn/belkinadapterinstallation.jpg

I have the original 98se installation CD but surely the file it is asking for from the 98se
    CD cannot be on it.

I have also Googled for the " \Temp\Q312339" but it does not seem to exist.

If this problem is unsolveable could a reinstallation of 98se cure it

Any solutions to this problem would be much appreciated

2. thehorace

thehorace

Have you tried settign it up via the web config?

192.168.2.1 - out of memory :\

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Did you try navigating to the W98 CD and finding this file? It's looking for the file DHCPCSVC.DLL

You may already have some of the files. The default folder for many of them is "c:\windows" or "c:\windows\system" for the .dll files.

4. mrss

mrss Guest

Bet it is. Win98se usually wants to get a file off the original install CD whenever a new adapter is installed, or if the network settings change. I keep the install files from the CD on my two win98se PC's. It's only 121 MB.

5. alankearn

alankearn Thread Starter

I have looked in the systems folder and the file that the Belkin install is looking for is definitely in the address you have quoted above .I also tried unsuccessfully to extract it from the 98se cd using the pop up information boxes that appeared . There must be a reason why the install is not finding it but it is beyond me.

I think there is a method of connecting manually (without cd installation) via settings/control box/network . If this is possible and someone knows how, it would be much appreciated if you could put me on the right track.

Thanks

6. JohnWill

I don't know of any way except installing the drivers.

7. alankearn

alankearn Thread Starter

Looks like job for me drilling a few holes and hard wiring it

Thanks for your replies

Alan

8. JohnWill

Well, that's always my preference for networking.

One other method is to use a WAP to connect it, that only requires the standard wired Ethernet drivers.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644077

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice