1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem installing Belkin Firewire card on Dell w/ WinXP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greenlion, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. greenlion

greenlion Thread Starter

Hi all.

I need to get some video off of my camcorder, so I bought a 3 port firewire card from Belkin.

I intstalled the card into an open PCI slot beneath my video card, closed everything back up, and turned on the power, nothing happened. My CPU was getting power, but there was no signal to the monitor, or anything else. Windows never loaded, and no other

I changed the card into another open slot and the same thing happened again. I took the card out, and it booted up normally.

I have a Dell Dimension 4550, running WinXP. I don't think there should be a problem like this. I spent half an hour on hold with Belkin tech support before I had to attend to my 15 month old who trapped himself in a closet.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. greenlion

greenlion Thread Starter

Could I just have a bad card?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Could be, hard to say.

4. bigbear

bigbear

Could a be compatabilty problem or a bad card as you say, This is a long shot but it might be a power issue somehow, it could be enough to tip the scales and stop booting up. It would depend how much you had hooked up already, try booting with the firewire card installed and disconnect all but the basic.

5. norton850

norton850

There shouldn't be a problem. Any chance that somehow the card is shorting something? As you mentioned a bad card is possible.

6. greenlion

greenlion Thread Starter

I'll return the card and try again. I don't have anything else installed in the computer other than the factory stuff. Thanks for the replies, I'll update when I try again.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430688

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice