1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem installing extra fans

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Looker1010, Dec 8, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Looker1010

Looker1010 Thread Starter

The chassis I selected for my new rig is (newegg dot com) /black-cooler-master-haf-series-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811119233?Item=9SIA0ZX57D1079 (Cooler Master HAF 912 - Mid Tower)

This chassis supports up to six extra fans.
    I bought a pack of extra fans: (newegg dot com) /cooler-master-r4-s2s-124k-gp-case-fan/p/N82E16835103052?Item=N82E16835103052 (COOLER MASTER R4-S2S-124K-GP Silent Case Fan (4-Pack)

The power supply I chose for this rig is (newegg dot com) /corsair-hx-series-hx750-cp-9020137-na-750w/p/N82E16817139206?Item=N82E16817139206 (CORSAIR HX Series HX750 CP-9020137-NA 750W ATX12V v2.4 / EPS12V 2.92 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified)

The power supply has no proper connector units to plug in the power connectors for the fans. Do I need some kind of adapters? Or did I make a bum purchase with the extra fans?

Honestly if I knew I was going to run into these many problems building this rig, I'd have gone with a store-bought pre-built model. I'm starting to get really scared I wasted over a grand on something that's not going to power up properly.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Case fans connect to the motherboard fan headers NOT the pw supply. [Well you can use an adapter however that is counter productive]
    The other way to connect case fans is by using a fan controller which your case does not come with one of those.

3. Looker1010

Okay I'll check the motherboard manual. The fan connectors attach to three-prong units. I THINK the motherboard headers all have four prongs?

In the meantime, I have the motherboard, PSU and CPU in place. I plugged the unit in and it powered on. That reassures me a lot.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  4. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Your PSU will have extra cables, in particular the molex power but that will depend on the PSU brand. Then you can use that to connect extra fans.

I'm using a molex to 3/4 pin fan cable to connect my extra 200mm case fans

5. Looker1010

There are two headers marked "Chassis/Water Pump fan." Will the fan models I bought work with those headers, or they specifically have to be water coolers?

(Bassfisher, the PSU's extra cables don't have the right kind of connectors.)

6. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

I edited my post to clarify

7. Looker1010

My motherboard manual says to simply place the connectors onto prongs 1-3 of the headers. I just hope they don't have to specifically be water cooler fans, because these are regular case air fans.

AAAAAAANNNNNDDD.... the connector cables are too short; they won't reach the headers on the motherboard. FAN-tastic, pun intended. Are extensions available?

8. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Yes...that's standard. The problem is when you run out of mobo fan headers. Then you need to either connect the remaining fans with and adapter cable like I use (which mine came with my PSU) or buy a couple. Or not use the extra fans

9. Looker1010

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If the fan headers are four pin, then they support PWM. You can connect a three pin fan to the four pin header; they are keyed so they only go on one way.
    Depending on the motherboard, most modern boards will auto detect whether a fan or a water pump is connected. If it does not auto detect, you can select what type in the bios. Read your motherboard manual.
    When you use the motherboard header, you can control the fan speed. When you connect directly to a pw supply with an adapter, the fan runs at full speed [the system ends up sounding like a hair dryer]

11. Looker1010

Unrelated to this specific thread, but... the RAM chips I ordered are missing. They came with the rest of the shipment, or so my Newegg Order history says, but I absolutely cannot find them. So much for the $1200 I spent on this new rig. Guess I'm stuck with this older one.

EDIT: ROFLMAO. I can't believe my stupidity.

I never ordered the RAM.

Next time I order pre-made. The instructions for the SSD say it's meant to be professionally installed, and I can't make out exactly what parts from either my board, my chassis, or my snow boots, it's meant to connect to or how. Now I find out I never ordered the RAM. This new rig is gonna bankrupt me.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Big box systems are fine for running office, email, etc. We must have at least 3~4000 dells at work and they do a fine job however I would NEVER think of attempting to game with one of them.

13. Looker1010

Which is all fine and good but I can only imagine how much it's gonna cost to find a professional who can install this SSD properly. Ugh.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You post is not making any sense. The title asks about case fans and now you state you cannot install a ssd???

It really is best to post as much info as possible and exactly what you are trying to do.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just an observation however from your posts, I would suggest doing a LOT more reading and studying about how to build a system before attempting to do the build. There are a number of videos and guides available.
    It is also possible to have a shop do the build for you [if you feel you are not up to doing the build] By shop, I mean just that a real shop and not a best buy or other chain store.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1236828

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice