1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem installing MS Office Professional 2007 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by keepitreal, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. keepitreal

keepitreal Thread Starter

Help! Problems installing Office Professional 2007 upgrade.

I bought the upgrade for my Office Professional 2007 version, and installed
    it ith no problem on my computer. Unfortunately, this hard drive crashed
    Tuesday. So, rather than buy a new hard drive, I simply used a hard drive in
    an extra CPU from my office that was shut down last year. This computer
    has Office 2003 on it and was in a networked office. When I tried to install
    the upgrade, I ran into a problem. This is what happened: I put in my
    Office Professional 2007 upgrade disks, enter product key, is ok'd, and then
    I get the following message: "Setup cannot find office.en-us\1033\dwintl20.dll. Browse to a valid installation source." I found some dwintl20.dll files on my hard drive, but when I click OK, it won't accept any. So, it cancels the upgrade installation.

The only thing I could think of that would be a problem was that this
    particular hard drive was in a computer at an office that was networked with
    the original information being on the network.

Both the crashed hd and recently installed hd from office computer has Office Basic Edition 2003, separate licenses; both came with Dell computers bought in 2004. I have the original disks for the crashed computer AND for the hard drive installed now.

(Of course, I did not reformat the hard drive before installing. Hindsight...yada, yada, yada.) Regardless, what can I do NOW? Should install the Office 2003 version that was on the crashed computer, then uninstall Office 2003, then try installing the upgrade again?

Can anyone help?

Thank you.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If you do not reinstall Windows from new, you face an endless series of problems unless the old computer was 100% identical in hardware terms to the one you have now.

The "original disks" for the crashed computer may not work for reinstalling either, as they may be locked to the BIOS in the old one if Windows came pre-installed.

One thing Windows does not like is running on a version that was installed on different hardware.

3. keepitreal

Actually, both computers are identical. Bought at same time. Dell Dimensions 4600. One was kept at home (the "home office") and the other was kept at the office which was networked. When the office was shut down, I brought all the equipment home including this PC. The CPU has been sitting dormant since then. I had a geek squad tech come Tuesday to address several problems on this computer, my son's computer and a laptop.
    Anyway, what do I do?

4. keepitreal

I posted a problem and received no help. Is that it? Do I post again?

Thanks.

5. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

Hi keepitreal

I have merged your post with your original thread. Please do not create duplicate threads.
    This is a free help forum where members volunteer their time. Please remember, it is not "Live" tech support. The member who responded lives in a different time zone as well.

kiwiguy is no slouch when it comes to informative and knowledgeable answers. (y)

You mention Geek squad, what did they find and or fix?

6. cuttlefish

cuttlefish

First Name:
    Ian
    .. that's right about kiwiguy Mate.. follow his advise and you will come out OK. :D ;)

And don't worry about him being from New Zealand, they just have this "funny" thing about how they use their sheep!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The problems is almost definitely a result of a networked Office install. The only way to resolve it would be to uninstall Office and reinstall it.

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Most of us can only visit here when time permits. We do our best, but we have to earn a living as well, which in my case requires days away from a computer.

I agree with DoubleHelix above, and I would simply never think of relocating a HDD where network installs are the case, or even if it is just a firmware revision in one of the devices it can be enough to give headaches in the future.

You simply don't get these problems doing a full clean install.

9. keepitreal

Thanks for your response. I really didn't think about responses might be from different time zones. Just desperate for help....hindsight. In the future, I will keep in mind that in mind.
    Also, nothing said "bad" about kiwiguy. I am sure he is great! But when desperate for help, a direct, clear answer was needed; didn't get that.
    Geek Squad guy was the one who fixed all the other things as well as installed the hd. I didn't run into any problem reinstalling any software until trying to install the upgrade.
    Anyway, got up this morning and this is what I did BEFORE checking this website. It worked. Yippee!!!! I uninstalled Office 2003. Rebooted. Installed MY OWN VERSION of Office 2003. Rebooted. Then, installed Office Professional 2007 Upgrade. Rebooted. IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!! Geez, louise...
    So, thank you to everyone with input. More than willing to return the favor.
    By the way, any of you hear about the new internet, the grid?

Thanks again.

10. ny941932

ny941932

I was trying to install Office 2007 on a new HD. I had this version installed on my old HD, but the HD started malfunctioning and Dell replaced it.
    Now, reading from the previous posts on this issue, I gather that the new HD must've had some version of the Office installed on it in the past?
    I assume this HD is refurbished.

What should I do?

Should I call Dell?

I'm really not looking forward to it, based on my previous expreriences.

Thank you.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595337

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice