1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem Installing Netgear FA311 Ethernet Card On XP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by madkilla, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. madkilla

madkilla Thread Starter

Hello,

I am having trouble getting this device to work, i have the driver disc but am unsure how to get it to work, there is a yellow exclamation mark by it in the device manager and tried to update driver through that but it did not work.

Thanks

2. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

Hi,

In Device Manager

Remove the device. do not allow system to reboot.

Now shut down and remove the network card physically from the computer.

Restart computer and then shut down again.

Re-install card, reboot and then insert disk when prompted.

If necessary try the card in a different PCI slot.

Post back with any error messages and at what stage they occur.

minor edit to add "reboot" after re-install card

hth

Ceri

3. Rockn

Rockn

FA311's do not work on some chipsets unless the BIOS gets updated. I believe this was a problem on some of the ASUS motherboards with a Duron CPU's and earlier versions of the VIA chipset.

4. zeddy

zeddy

you cpuld try popping the Network card in a differnt PCI slot to see if it does not create a conflict there.

5. madkilla

madkilla Thread Starter

the card is actually onboard so I can't remove it.

I know it does work as it has worked in the past. It is only now that I have re-installed windows that the problem has occured.

I know that there is no fault with the internet connection as my brother's pc is working fine and we share the same connection.

The board I have is an ASUS A7V8X.

I believe the ethernet card is a broadcom.

any other suggestions will be very much welcomed :)

6. zeddy

zeddy

Have you looked on the Asus site and downloaded the drivers for your chipset and network card?

7. zeddy

zeddy

The onboard card is an AsusTek Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated controller, not a netgear FA311.

8. madkilla

madkilla Thread Starter

thanks

Do you have a link for the drivers? And also, how do I install it once it has downloaded

9. brite750

brite750

you said you reformatted what do you mean? did you reinstall you os XP or what. your mobo comes with a disk thatys asus on it you will need to load those right after you reformat and install you os. that disk will have the drivers to operate you net card. you do not need to d/l anything unless you lost that disk.

10. madkilla

madkilla Thread Starter

I didn't re-format, I just re-installed windows.

My mate who built my machine for me never gave me an asus disk, I am sure he will have it but am having a job trying to get hold of him at the moment, I think he may have gone on holiday.

11. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=A7V8X&Type=Latest

This link is for the A7V8X mobo only! Make sure that is the EXACT model mobo you have (not the A7V8X-X, A7V8X-MX, A7V8X-MX SE). There ARE differences in the updates. You should go to Device Manager, Update Driver, direct to the place where you downloaded and unzipped the files and install. Disable any anti-virus/firewall apps BEFORE updating drivers.

12. brite750

brite750

Still is just a little to fast for me. Yes make SURE that is your board before you do this. I would still that that disk fro your mate just so you have it, that way you can get up and running without d/l anything, then update at your leisure.

13. madkilla

madkilla Thread Starter

Ive downloaded the file but im not too sure how to use it, ive unzipped it to the desktop and ive tried to update the driver but its saying that it cant install.

Thanks

14. brite750

brite750

Not a XP person but i'll assume its similar to 2000, did you unzip to a folder on your desktop? go into device manager and update driver for network adapter point to your folder on DT

15. madkilla

madkilla Thread Starter

I tried to update the driver and it keeps saying, Cannot install this hardware.

Thanks

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218440

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice