Problem installing Network Adapter - name in use as device name or service name!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nimba

hi all,

Im trying to install a LinkSys network card, and it doesn't work after I do. When I try to reinstall in device manager, the error I get is "name is already in use as either a device name or service name"

I've tried all the obvious... uninstall, reinstall stuff. I know I have to play with the registry to fix this but I dont know where to start. Can anyone help me, because as of now, my mother's computer doesn't get the internet!

thanks in advance everyone

Does it tell you the name that is supposedly in use?

And can you find it in the services profile if you run services.msc ?

In the registry these services will be found and configured under the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

But be careful what you delete here if you are unsure of having the right one. Presumably anything with "linksys" in the name is fair game.

nimba

no,

all i get is "the name is already in use as a service name or service display name"

Nothing is in use, that I can find, even the linksys packet scheduler is gone.

the services subdir also doesnt show anything with linksys in the registry

I'll have a look, but you may also want to contact Linksys tech support.

I'm uploading a zipped file that contains a file called services.bat.

Fully unzip the file (it cannot remain in the zip folder) and double click it to run. It should put a text file on your desktop. Use the "manage attachments" tab in your reply options to select and upload it here.

Attachments

nimba

I cant access this page from that computer (for obvious reasons) and since no network can exist with that computer, I cant transfer the file from my laptop to that machine. :(

There is no way to transfer a file from one to the other? Floppy disk, CD-ROM, usb flash drive?

Without knowing the list of installed services, I can't speculate on what the conflict is -- but a call to Linksys might get you some feedback on just what their software installs.

And you might try a System Restore to a date prior to your original install attempt. That would obviate any need for a successful "uninstall".

Start > Run: msconfig > Launch System Restore.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online