1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem installing new (AGP) video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by THFS, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. THFS

THFS Thread Starter

Hi,

The video card I bought off eBay arrived today, and I was about to install it when I came across a problem. I know I need to plug my monitor into the video card, but how? At the back of the case (where the monitor input on the video card would be) there are a number of metal things stopping it. I know I need to remove one of them, but is there a certain way to do it? I tried just pushing it out, but it wouldn't work. I don't want to break anything on the case that I'm not meant to, so how should I go about this?

Thanks.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You will be referring to the snap-out slot covers.

They are pre-punched with a thin break-out bit of metal usually.

Usually you need to lever it out with a screwdriver, then bend the webbing back and forward until it snaps off. You will be able to identify exactly which one you need to remove, its designed to break, you only use the amount of force required to break that one out. Usually there is a scredriver slot to get you started. Pretend its the lid of a sardine can.

Make sure you break it out the back, not inside the case, where it could damage the motherboard. The worst that could happen is? You could break the strip off, which is the desired result.

Not really sure why you are worried. Attack!

3. THFS

THFS Thread Starter

Thanks for your help! I've done that, but I've struck another problem. Here's my ASCII drawing:

==========
    ------------
    ==========
    ------------
    ==========
    ------------
    And so on.

Now, the = are the breakable strips, the - are the parts separating the breakable strips. For whatever reason, the breakable strip isn't big enough for the output section of the video card. The unbreakable (I think, they're welded into the sides of the case) parts are much smaller, but I can't see any way I can get the video card in.

If you can visualise that in your head, what should I do now?

Thanks.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I must be visualising it wrongly, as all cases and card have been standard for a long time.

I have been around PC's since 1981, and never found something that will not fit.

Are you saying that when you snap out the strip, the gap it leaves is too narrow for the card VGA/DVI sockets to fit through?

5. THFS

THFS Thread Starter

That's exactly what I'm saying.

6. THFS

THFS Thread Starter

Bump.

7. THFS

THFS Thread Starter

Anyone?

8. moparmaniac

moparmaniac

Is it possible that you need to install the card in another slot? Is it PCI or AGP..if AGP may not have another option..but if pci...you might have to move it down one.

Does the card look like this ['''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

or does it look like this? [____________

Again that's probably an issue that might be solved for a PCI card, not AGP.

If it's AGP..only thing I can think of is Misallignment of the motherboard possibly.

Hope this might help...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271109

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice