1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem installing new Graphics card on Asus board

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DannyBoy99, Sep 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DannyBoy99

DannyBoy99 Thread Starter

Hello all,

I have an Asus M2A-VM HDMI mainboard and am trying to install my new Geforce 8600 GTS GPU. Up until now I have been using the on-board ATI x1250 graphics via the bundled riser card to output via HDMI. In display settings I showed 2 screens, one for the VGA and one for the HDMI. When I tried to install the Geforce I had a whole bunch of issues....

When I first installed it, I left the on-board graphics set as primary, and windows wouldnt even detect the card. Switching off the HDMI support in the BIOS sorted this, and the next time I booted up, windows saw the card and installed the drivers off the CD.

Next I rebooted and changed the primary GPU in the BIOS to PCIE from on-board VGA. As soon as I saved and exited, the screen when blank. The machine continued to boot into windows (I have a VFD that fires up when windows starts, so I know it was running), but the display remained blank. The only way to fix this was to pull the graphics card and reset the primary GPU back to on-board VGA in the BIOS.

After this I plugged the card back in and let windows start normally. Now when I try and access the display settings, I get a message about the primary display drivers being for a previous version of windows (I am running MCE2005) and that the default display adaptor is disabled. In my displays window, the onboard ATI is now screens 1&3 (which are the only 2 that are selectable) and the geforce is number 2.

No matter what I do, I cant get any display from the Geforce. The HDMI cable is fine as I've tested it on the onboard DVI port (via an HDMI>DVI converter).

Can anyone tell me what the heck is going on?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/630944

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice