1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem installing old sata drives to new PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by suzzy_lou, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. suzzy_lou

suzzy_lou Thread Starter

Hi everybody,

I bought a new computer last week which is running windows 7, 64 bit, 1TB HD. I wanted to install my old sata drives from my old XP box which worked fine previously. I put the first one in and it worked fine. Then i shut down the machine and added the second one. As soon as i turned the power back on the second one it blew (with smoke!). I quickly turned off the power and took the second one out. I then turned the PC on again and the first one (that was working fine) also blew with smoke so i took that out. The PC is working fine now but both of my sata drives are now US (one was main other was backup). I am really concerned as to why these drives blew. The PC is very different from my old one and the power supply is 300 watts rather than 250 watts but i didn't think this a problem. I'm now wondering why this happened and whether i can ever put another hard drive in this box? Plesae can someone help and offer some expert advice - what could be the reason for this?

thanks x

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I cannot think of a reason, unless you have a modular power supply that has connectors keyed so the cables can be plugged into the wrong connectors (like mine that blew up a hard drive). What is the manufacturer and model for your power supply?

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    Is the computer an OEM or custom built ??
    Computer Make n Model number or info might be helpful here.

Unless you made an unlikely power cable wiring/connection mistake ..
    I’d be checking the power cable voltages to the old SATAs.
    I’m thinking a possible bad cable/connector ??

You could connect the old SATAs via a SATA <> USB docking station that has it&#8217;s own power supply ..
    Something like One of These

And Welcome to the TSG Forum

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027709

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice