Problem installing second hard drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

incognito11967

Ok this is a little complicated so any help would be appreciated . I purchased a new computer with a sata hard drive and a copy of windows xp to install on it which i have done. I wanted to be able to also install a second hard drive from my old pc because I have a million programs on there that I no longer have all the install disks for. The second drive is an Ide device and came with a pre installed version of windows Both drives are showing and can be accessed but whenever I try to run a program from my old drive they will not work. I thought of making the computer boot from the old drive but of course since the OS was preinstalled it was not registered to work on any computer but the original.
My question is is there a way for me to be able to run the programs on the old hard drive I really need to be able to access them so any help would be greatly appreciated :)

programs will have to be installed on your new sata drive to work......not your slave

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The programs are installed on the second drive. Windows programs are not like the old DOS programs that would run from anywhere. Windows programs install bits and pieces in various directories, add sections to the Registry, register dlls, etc. You cannot run your old programs as is. They must be installed on the new drive. I've heard of programs that will move apps from one drive to another, but have never used one, so I couldn't say how well they work.

Not quite the answer you were looking for, I know. Sorry.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online