1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem Installing Two DVD Drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jacobx, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jacobx

Jacobx Thread Starter

I have a ASUS DVDR drive and got another drive that is a Hitachi and isn't write capable. When I try to hook up both, the Hitachi drive works but the ASUS drive won't power up and isn't recognized in the BIOS. I've tried them on the same channel and separate channels. I have tried many different combos for jumper settings including slave/master, master/slave, CS/CS, and I've tried two different IDE cables. No matter what I do, the ASUS dive will not power up unless I unhook the IDE cable from the Hitachi drive. Any ideas?
    My motherboard is an ASUS A8N5X.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Bad drive?
    Try it in another machine.
    look carefully for bent or shorted pins.

3. Jacobx

Jacobx Thread Starter

Both drives work, just not together.

4. Striker840

Striker840

Interesting, I have 2 dvd drives on my machine, one is a burner the other is just a reader both set for cable select.

How many ide connections do you have on your board?

5. Jacobx

Jacobx Thread Starter

I have a SATA hard drive so only my DVD and floppy drive.

6. Flags

Flags

Jake: Since you had the Asus drive longer, I'll assume it is in the top cage and uses the end connector. The Hitachi would then be in a lower cage and uses the middle connector.
    Just for the heck of it, swap positions of the drives and put the Hitachi on top of the Asus.
    Set the Hitachi as Master and the Asus as slave, See what happens.

7. Jacobx

Jacobx Thread Starter

I just tried it and got the same results.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you have 2 IDE channels? Have you tried one drive on each if 2?

9. Jacobx

Jacobx Thread Starter

Yeah, I have two channels and tried running both drives with one on each channel. Same results.

10. Jacobx

Jacobx Thread Starter

For half a second I thought it might be the power supply, but I have like a 600w or 650w power supply. Does it ever happen that drives are incompatible with each other? or could my motherboard have a problem with two dvd drives? I'm working on something now, but I could pull out a cd-rom drive from another computer later and see if it will work with the Asus drive. I don't need RAID drivers for two dvd drives do I?

11. Flags

Flags

No. You don't need RAID drivers for 2 DVD/DVDRW. Both my machines have DVD-rom and a DVDRW and work fine. RAID drivers are for HDD's.
    I have never had any problems with 2 mismatched optical drives on the same IDE cable.
    Maybe Asus boards have this problem, I don't know for sure.
    One more thing to try. If you are using the Molex connectors on one line for both drives, try using a different line for the 2nd drive. I don't see how this would help but you've tried everything else.

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

Try changing the cable.

13. Jacobx

Jacobx Thread Starter

I tried that Flags, no good. Rich, I hadn't tried using a different cable for both so I gave that a shot, but it didn't help. I checked my BIOS version and it's up to date. There is a newer version but it's a beta and I don't really want to mess with that. Thanks for the help so far everyone. Please give me any more ideas you come up with.

14. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I have had bad drives straight out of the box. Maybe you have one.

15. Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Have you tried using the cable that came with the ASUS cable. Some drives require you use the 80 pin (you can tell because it is more densely packed) connector instead of the 40 pin. Make sure you are using the 80 pin IDE cable.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595492

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice