1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem installing Win XP on new HD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gcivello, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gcivello

gcivello Thread Starter

Hello Tech support people. Recently, my nephew - who is pretty knowledgeable about computer related stuff - installed a new 60 GB hard drive into my computer. I had been was using Window 98 and decided that it was a good time to install Window XP. My nephew attempted the upgrade, but was not able to get my system to accept Windows XP.

I've got a new motherboard (AMD 500 MHZ processor. In addition to my old HD (3 GB's), I now have, thanks to my nephew, 60 GB HD of extra space. Drive C is my "old drive" and contains Windows 98 and all my system files. Drive D, E, and F constitutes my new drive.

The problem is that when I try to install Windows XP I get a message telling me I don't have enough space. Apparently, it automatically tries to put XP on to Drive C, which already contains Windows 98 (and is almost full.) I thought about trying to install XP on another drive; uninstalling Window 98 and then moving XP over to Drive C. I don't know how to do this as the Windows XP software automatically wants to put it on Drive C. Can someone talk me through the process or perhaps show me a better way?
    Thanks.

Glenn

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    If you insert the Windows XP CD (Upgrade or Full Edition) and reboot the PC, it should boot to the CD and lead you through installing it to the new 60gb drive. If it doesn't boot to the CD, then you need to get into the BIOS setup and be sure the CDRom drive is before the Hardrive in the Boot Sequence. Assuming it does boot to the CD, the first screen you'll see after it checks your system will be a screen with both hardrives listed. Just be sure you select the new 60gb drive and install it to that drive. After everything's done, you'll end up with a "Dual Boot", W98 on the C: drive and Windows XP on the D: drive.

Let us know what happens.

BTW, if you do have the Upgrade version of XP, it will prompt you to insert your W98 CD during the install to prove your qualified to use the Upgrade.

3. gcivello

gcivello Thread Starter

Hello Bryan. Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I have been having problems getting connected to the Internet. My server is UMass and the new semester just started...all the students are trying to hook up to the Internet I guess.

I'm fairly confused about now. I said before that I had been trying to do an XP upgrade and was getting the "not enough space" message; turns out, my XP version is not an upgrade... (It's XP Professional.) So I opted for _that_ full setup. Now I'm getting an error about half way through setup telling me that the file 'asms' on Windows XP is needed and that I should type the path were it is located. I checked the disk for the file, but there is no 'asms' file.

Glenn

4. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
  5. gcivello

gcivello Thread Starter

Hello Bryan. Thanks for the URL. Sorry to say I haven't a clue how to put the info into use. I'm truly a novice.

First, I don't have Windows 98 software. I bought the computer "used" and Windows 98 was already installed.

I scrolled down the document to the part where it says:

*If the user does not have a Windows 98 or ME CD-ROM, the xcopy files should be copied from the Window Directory*

I did a search in the start menu folders) for the 3 files (xcopy.exe xcopy32.exe xcopy.mod) that are supposed to be copied (to a floppy disk?) and the following were listed: xcopy (w/o the "exe" extension) xcopy32 (w/o the "exe" extension) and xcopy 32.mod. Each one of these have a different icon that represents the type of file.

Also the document recommends that smartdrv be used. I went in the start menu; clicked on "run"; and typed "smartdrv." A black window pops up and states:

*You cannot load smartdrive when a shell program (such as MS-Dos shell) or Windows is running.quit Windows or the shell program and load Smart Drive.*

How do I do that without Windows or Dos? Do I do it somewhere in the bootup process... like in setup or something?

Is there any reason I could not simply drag the 1386 folder from Wxp_pro (G drive) over to one of my hard drives (C; D; E;F)? Btw, I have Windows 98 on C: drive.

I know that I appear to be a hopeless case. You are, in fact, dealing with a "chimp" in this matter. I apologize for that and I appreciate your trying to help me.

Glenn

6. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Your correct. You should just be able to just copy/paste the I386 folder from the XP CD to any of your hardrives while in W98. Then boot to the XP CD and run setup. Then when prompted, click on Browse and point the XP install to the I386 folder on the hardrive to find what it needs. Be sure to read the article, it says you may need point the install to that folder multiple times during the entire install, not just once.

7. gcivello

gcivello Thread Starter

Hello Brian. I moved the 1386 folder on the Win XP software from the CD ROM to my hard drive and then did the setup. It went smoothly and I am elated.

I have plenty of hard drive space so I think I'll keep Win 98 on drive C for a few weeks and then uninstall it. Out of curiousity, I went to add/remove programs in the control panel; to my surprised Windows 98 is not listed. How can that be? How will I uninstall it? On the list is MS Explorer, MS Office Professional, MS Outlook Express and even the new WinMX but no Win 98. Can you explain this to me? Many thanks

Glenn

8. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    I'm not 100 percent certain I understand what you did. I assumed you installed XP to a clean empty hardrive other than C:? If not, I know W98 is on your C: drive partition, where did you install XP? And is XP on a totally separate hardrive?

9. gcivello

gcivello Thread Starter

Hello Bryan. Yes, you're understanding is correct. WIN 98 is on the old hardrive (Drive C) and I installed XP on a totally separate hardrive (drive E).

In case the solution to my problem can be of use to someone else, here are the circumstances (in a nutshell) which brought me to Tech Support Guy for some answers:

* My nephew, who knows more about computers than I do, added a new 60GB hardrive below my old 3 GB HD.

* He partitioned the new drive into 3 parts (D, E, and F.)

*I had been using WIN 98 prior to the installation of the new hardrive. WIN 98 is on drive C:

* My nephew, tried to install WIN XP Pro on Drive E of the new drive but half way through installation an "ASMS" error came up.

* Later, I tried to install the new WIN 98 Pro but experienced the same problem my nephew had (i.e. "ASMS error")

* I fixed the problem after learning form Bryan (thanks Bryan!) that the ASMS is a folder inside of the I386 folder on the XP CD.

* I copied the "1386 folder" onto Drive E (part of my new hardrive); when I clicked on the "setup" icon (on the WIN XP CD), the installation went smoothly.

Glenn

10. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    W98 won't be under Add/Remove Programs on the ControlPanel for Windows XP if that's what your asking. It is it's own operating system on another hardrive.

I assume what you have now is a Dual Boot, W98 and Windows XP. When the PC boots up, do you see a screen appear for about 30 seconds that would allow you to boot to either W98 or Windows XP?

11. gcivello

gcivello Thread Starter

Yes I have a dual boot. Actually, XP is listed _twice_(at the top, and directly under the top) W98 is listed 3rd (under the two XP's. The "extra" XP was from before, when I tied, unsuccessfully, to install XP. Is there a way to edit it out?

Regarding uninstalling W98.....what I am saying is that W98 isn't under Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel of W98, yet it lists the XP program (perhaps that was from before, when I had mistakenly been trying to do the upgrade version of XP instead of the full installation of XP Pro) Anyway, W98 should be listed in add/remove because it's on C drive (old hardrive) where W98 is.

As my e-mail program - i.e. "Outlook Express," which I prefer to the MSN's offering on XP - is on W98, I am still using W98 quite a bit. Eventually, I want to uninstall W98, get Outlook Express into XP and move some of my shortcuts on my W98 desktop to the XP desk top. I need time to figure this stuff out.

Glenn

12. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    That's not how it works. You'd only find an option to uninstall a Windows operating system on a hardrive that had an upgrade run on that specific drive, that upgraded that specific drive to a newer version of Windows. In your case you didn't upgrade the version of W98 on the C: drive. You installed a new version of Windows XP on a new completely seperate drive. Anyway, when your done with W98 there's nothing to uninstall. But since I'm not an expert on dual boots, I'll have to check into something that I'm not sure of first, but you should just be able to format the C: drive and be done with it. I'll let you know for sure once I get an answer to a question I have in my mind.

As far as getting rid of the extra Windows XP entry, that would be done by editing the Boot.ini file on the C: drive but if your intending to clear the C: drive and get rid of W98, I wouldn't bother with it at this point. That whole screen will disappear at bootup once you get rid of W98 and the Dual Boot.

If you really want to get rid of the extra entry now, locate the Boot.ini file on the C: drive and double left click on it. It should open in Notepad. Now post or copy/paste the lines under the section [Operating Systems] to a reply here.

BTW, you don't want to edit the Boot.ini file till your sure what to remove or you may end up with a mess. Just post the lines under the section I mentioned above to a reply here.

Also, you don't want to literally "move" any shortcuts from the W98 desktop to the Windows XP desktop. Create new shortcuts on the Windows XP desktop and be sure none point to anything on the C: drive since it's going away later.

13. gcivello

gcivello Thread Starter

I think I'll take your advice and skip it.. It looks like I have another
    problem to figure out anyway. My new Logitech mouse does not work with my USB and, in fact, causes my screen to go "dark" (i.e. blank and freeze). I want to check into this further, as I have 30 days to return the (cordless optical) mouse if something is wrong with it. The mouse works fine with the PS/2, but it should work with my USB port as well.

Regarding getting rid of W98... based on what you have said so far, I suppose I will end up having to reformat C drive. I suppose that means I will loose MS Office which has MS Word software - something I would like to keep. Anyway, let me know if you learn something new about "double boots." Again, I
    appreciate your help in this matter Thanks.

Glenn

14. gcivello

gcivello Thread Starter

Hello Bryan... It's been awhile since I have posted on this thread so I hope you will see this message. I have decided to keep Win 98 on Drive C: brecause, for some things, I prefer it XP. Under the circumstances I have decided I would like to edit out the extra XP entry (see post titled "W98 old drive C; XP new drives D E F dated 02/01/2002.) In your post, dated 02/01/2002, you told me that if I had wanted to get rid of the extra entry, I should copy/paste the lines of the boot.ini file to this forum. Here they are:

[boot loader]
    timeout=20
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    C:\="Microsoft Windows"

Thanks
    Glenn

15. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Assuming that if you power on the PC and don't touch a thing, it shows that multi boot screen and then automatically boots into the new, correct XP install without any intervention from you, then you want to delete the line for partition(1) on rdisk(1). First make a copy of the Boot.ini file and call it Boot.sav

Then open the Boot.ini file with Notepad and remove the line below being careful to remove the line for "rdisk(1) partition(1)". It's the second line under the section [Operating Systems].

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66943

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice