1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem Installing Windows Updates: "Some Updates Were Unable to be Installed"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by PC_13, May 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PC_13

PC_13 Thread Starter

Hello All,

I was referred here by NeonFx from the TechGuy Security forum. He had me run a slew of anti-virus/anti-spyware diagnostics. According to NeonFx my system is currently infection free and he states the problem lies elsewhere.

He also had me run the Windows Update FixIt tool in both Default and Aggressive mode - both of which did not fix the problem. So what is the problem??

PROBLEM:

When I run the install Windows updates, the updates do not install, and I receive the following message (not verbatim, but close):

"Some updates were unable to be installed..."

This problem "came out of no where" and there has been no suspicious activity prior to it starting other than an IE7 redirect rootkit that NeonFx helped me remove (if I recall correctly an infection of agp440)...

Stumped, stumped and stumped...

2. jackuars

jackuars

You could tell us which updates of yours doesnt seem to work..or is it that none of your updates are getting installed?? Are you getting any error messages during installation..?R u able to download the windows update??
    Solve 1:-Do you have any other firewalls running on your computer other than the in-built Windows..Try unchecking it and then go for the installation
    Solve 2:-There might not be enough room on your C: drive...Clear up some space..and run the update again.
    Solve 3:-Another thing to try is

Click Start > Run > Type the following commands in the Open box (one at a time, in sequence):

REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuapi.dll
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\atl.dll
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wucltui.dll
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups.dll

After re-registering the files, try the Windows Update site again.

One final thing I could suggest is to rename the SoftwareDistribution folder (found in your windows folder) to SoftwareDistribution.old (do this in safe mode and then restart if you get an access denied error)

See if any of the entries in the following page can help u
    http://support.microsoft.com/gp/sechomewinup?cid=C_13896

3. PC_13

PC_13 Thread Starter

● Updates that will not install:

Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Junk E-Mail Filter (KB981725)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office 2003 (KB976382)

Updates initializes installation normally and then attempts to install. However, at the end of the process the following message is received: "The following updates were not installed."

NOTE: A search of the internet shows that others are experiencing the same problem. There is even a MS support page on this subject but it talks about renaming paths (too technical for me to understand).

● Error messages received during update installation:

None

● Am I able to download the updates from the Microsoft Downloads website?:

Yes

Solution 1 - Turn off all firewalls:

The only firewall running on my sysem is the built-in Windows firewall.

I've attempted to install the above updates with the firewall "On" as well as "Off." In both instances the updates failed to install.

Solution 2 - Insufficient available memory on C drive:

C drive has 108 GB of free space available

Solution 3 - Re-register update files in the registry and then retry updates install:

Updates did not install: still receive this message: "The following updates were not installed."

Renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder also did not succeed.

4. PC_13

PC_13 Thread Starter

Hello Jackuars,

I use the following software to maintain my system:

CCleaner
    Eusing Registry Cleaner

I use the following software to protect my computer:

McAfee (pre-installed on system, but now not used/deactivated but still installed)
    Avast (it works great and it's free)

MCafeeis installed but "Off" because no $ while Avast is installed and "On" becuase it is free.

I've made no drastic changes to my system within the past month or so. Although I have uninstalled more than a few programs that I never used - or used very rarely - in addition to removing a lot of remnant/"garbage" items.

Initially I had an IE8 redirect issue. Prior to coming to TechGuy forums I employed HiJackThis in an attempt to correct the issue on my own. I made a few repairs/deletions using HiJackThis.

Also, I went online to search for recent IE8 redirect issues. I found more than a few...and followed the various instructions for removal of infections. Some were manual methods, while others involved software assists. In any case, none of them solved the problem; IE8 continued to be redirected.

Next I came to the TechGuy Security forum where NeonFx was able to identify and remove the infection.

The inability to install Windows updates began shortly after the disinfection of the following file:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\agp440.sys

The infection was identified by NeonFx over on the TechGuy Security forum. With his help I used OldTimer (OTS), GMER Rootkit Scanner, and MalwareBytes to identify the infection. Once detected and identified, I used ComboFix - under NeonFx's direction - to remove it.

The important point that I'm trying to make is that I do not know which of the following may have caused the Windows update problem:

1. My manual removal of a few registry items using HiJackThis
    (If this is the cause -wasn't it fixed by "re-registering" the Windows updates with the commands you provided above?)
    2. The removal of registry items by Eusing Registry Cleaner or CCleaner
    (Same point/question here as in item 1 above.)
    3. Anything done while detecting/removing the infection of agp440.sys
    4. My "housekeeping" activities

5. PC_13

PC_13 Thread Starter

http://forums.techarena.in/office-update-service/509823.htm

This thread only covers Update for Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB916521) Will Not Install; there is no mention of the Security Update for Microsoft Office 2003 (KB976382).

As outlined inthe above thread, Microsoft provides a 5-step procedure to eliminating the problem:

Groucho writes:

"In the meantime I have received the following five-step solution from Microsoft. Step 5 solved my problem, but only after I completely uninstalled my Office 2003, eliminated all its entries in the Windows Registry, reinstalled it from scratch, and ran Office Update several times."

Microsoft addresses the problems of not being able to install the Microsoft Office 2003 Service Pack here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=884298

It involves re-creating the path of the original installation source in the registry.

I'm hoping that there is an easier way to fix these problems.

6. jackuars

jackuars

First of all you aren't supposed to run two anti-viruses on the same computer even if one is not active.You are supposed to uninstall one before using the other.

Which version of Windows are you using? If you are still using sp2 i don't think you will be able to install these updates as you may have to upgrade to sp3 for installation. Not sure about this anyhow!

Here at Tech Support Guy, we do not support running registry cleaners to fix registry errors. It may cause more harm than good.You aren't suppose to use Hijack This tool by yourself until you are an expert and do not change any settings if you are unsure of what to do. You can use the support forum on Tech Support Guy that provide free technical assistance by using HijackThis log files to diagnose an infected computer.

7. jackuars

jackuars

IE8 REDIRECT ISSUES:-
    POSSIBLE CAUSES
    1.GOOGLE REDIRECT VIRUS
    (since you told you had an issue with malware)
    2.CORRUPT ADD-ONS

There is a malicious software application called the Google redirect virus. If your system is affected with this resident virus, you will be redirected most of the time.I recommend a scan to know if your IE8 redirect problem is attributed to the Google redirect virus.

Sometimes the IE8 redirect problems are also caused by corrupt add-ons. To test this, right click on the Internet Explorer 8 icon and select Start without Add-ons.If you can browse normally, it means the problem is some add-on. Start IE8 normally and disable all add-ons (Tools → Manage Add-ons). Enable them one by one to isolate the add-on that's creating the problem. You can disable or remove that add-on to prevent future IE redirects.

If you still get redirect problems, I recommend you uninstall the Internet Explorer 8 and download the "Internet Explorer Optimized for Google". This optimized version gives fewer troubles that include eliminating most IE8 redirect problems too.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/924046

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice