1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem Installing XP after new mobo and cpu

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by insolent, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. insolent

insolent Thread Starter

I just got a new mobo and cpu (Abit IS7 and P4 2.4C). I also got a new SATA HD to go with the new mobo. I am having problems getting WinXP to load. Here's what I've tried:

Not installing the new HD and simply trying to boot up with the new mobo and cpu using the old HD that already has XP working just fine. The comp posts and starts to load WinXP. no Boot. It just restarts the comp. When I boot in safe mode, it shows the files it's trying to load and the path says multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\ bunch of files. It always stalls when it gets to the file called Mup.sys and then simply reboots.

So I tried a clean install on the new SATA HD. It has the same problem as the old HD. I should probably say I successfully installed WinXP on a never used HD which I partitioned into one 120 GB logical drive using the WinXP Pro disk. The installation completed, but never successfully booted windows. I get the same problem as the old HD at the file Mup.sys.

When I tried each of the above, only the one drive was installed. As in, I unplugged the other drive when trying my other option. I'm thinking it has something to do with my new mobo. Does this sound like a winxp boot problem when booting from a mobo that has onboard raid? I know nothing about raid, don't have one, aren't trying to make one. Everything was working just fine an hour ago when my old mobo and Athlon XP 2100 were installed with the 40 GB HD. What the heck was I thinking??? I didn't even really need to upgrade. I guess boredom has finally kicked my as*. Here's my specs:

New Stuff:
    P4 2.4C
    Abit IS7 Mobo (865PE chipset with SouthBridge SATA)
    Western Dig 120 GB SATA HD (WD1200JD)

Old Stuff:
    Maxtor 40 GB 5200RPM HD with XP loaded
    Geforce4 Ti4400
    512 PC 2100 Generic stick (yes, the IS7 can do 266 Mhz mem, I asked Abit before odering the board.)
    WinXP Pro Full.

I don't have any other cards installed until I can get Windows running. Any help would guarantee you a sunny spot with my thanks!!!!

Jon C.

2. dai

dai

bump

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170394

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice