1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem installing XP on Compaq

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mahesh_zn, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mahesh_zn

mahesh_zn Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have an old compaq PC ( 20GB,750 MHz AMD Duron,192 MB Ram ). I am trying to install Windows XP home edition. The first phase of installation went smoothly where the folders were copied from the CD. In the second phase where the PC would boot from harddisk, I get the following error :
    NTLDR: couldn't open drive multi(0) disk(0) rdisk(0) partition(1)

I have extensively searched the web and it seems like this is more of a problem with compaq PCs. Some suggest changing jumper position, some suggest reformatting, some suggesting using FAT32 and I have tried all the options over and over with no success and get the same error message.

Could you help?

Thanks
    Mahesh

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Some systems don't like installing on NTFS for some reason.

If you have a 98 or ME startup disk (if not, you can run this program to make one: http://www.24by7.ca/files/boot98se.exe ), copy delpart.exe to the disk and boot from it.
    http://www.russelltexas.com/delpart.exe

At the prompt, type: delpart
    Use this program to be sure all partitions (even hidden ones) are deleted from the drive.

Then try the installation again.

If you still have no luck, boot from the floppy again, run delpart to remove any partitions, then run fdisk to make a primary DOS partition. Reboot from the floppy and run format to male a FAT32 partition.

Try installing on FAT32. The file system can be converted to NTFS after the installation completes.

3. mahesh_zn

mahesh_zn Thread Starter

Hi Elvandil,
    Thanks for your reply. I suspect that there are some hidden partions still left as the PC had Windows Me installed at some point before.

Regarding the suggestion for making 98/Me startup disk, should I do a CD write of .exe file and boot from that CD instead of XPHome CD? Just wanted to be sure before I iterate one more time.

Thanks
    Mahesh

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Just run the exe file and it will lead you into creating a boot floppy. Then boot from the floppy (if you have a floppy drive).

5. bornl

bornl

Another solution coult be to change the Hardisk to master instead of Cable Select. I had the same problem and the partition programs did not help, Fdisk would not run, it gave a Divide by zero error. Changing the Jumper made everything work fine.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223749

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice