problem invovles ip address of 169.254....

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

aschoi

Ok heres the problem... i'm helping a friend out and he's trying to connect to an already established network. the other computers connected to the network are all macs. I don't think there is anything wrong with the hardware (although i'm not positive) but het's getting an ip adress of 169.254... He's not sure what kind of router he's using. When he trys to connect to the network it automatically gives him the password. it says he's connected to the network but he can't access the internet. He's also tryed manually typing the password but it says the password isn't long enough, i think that the problem there is that the password they gave him isn't the actual network key needed.
I don't know if the problem is simply in the password or if the router can't communicate with his laptop or what.
any help is appreciated

thank you

You might compare that 169.x.x.x address with what the working computers are getting. It sounds like the IP scheme a computer gets when it can't get find a DHCP server.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online