1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem loading operating system

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by firetotheworks, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. firetotheworks

firetotheworks Thread Starter

Hello everyone. Ive been having a sustained and frustrating problem with my PC. To cut a long and very infuriating story short the drive letter was changed on my pc meaning that windows xp professional wouldnt load up. Ive tried a number of different fixes but in the end backed up my hard drive to a friends pc and then decided to start from scratch.

I ran the windows 98 boot disk to format the drive so that I could then reintall windows. When I used that floppy disk it made me partition the drive. After doing this I now only get a message saying 'Problem loading operating system'. This happens with the xp cd in as well. I have checked the boot priority in the bios and everything is fine there. At no point do I get the 'press enter to boot from CD' message either. I just want to reinstall xp and start again, Im not bothered about losing anything on there as Ive backed it all up. Any suggestions?

2. SDUK

SDUK

Create a proper windows xp boot disk and try reinstalling

3. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

Never change drive letters. The only way to fix this is to change the drive letter back to it's original, or restore the registry to a working state before you did this.

If not, then a rebuild is in order.

4. firetotheworks

firetotheworks Thread Starter

OK, so Ive given up on trying to format my drive and reinstall xp. Ive bought a new hard drive. Now I have it connected and the boot priority set to my dvd drive to set up xp on there. However it only loads past detecting the IDE and then I just get a blinking cursor. I dont get the boot from CD option or anything like that. Ive tried running the xp cd on someone elses pc whilst booting up and I dont get the install screen or the boot from cd option on there either. Can anyone help?

5. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

You'll need to walk us through each step of the install. Without knowing where it failed I couldn't suggest a solution. However, did you confirm the drive is visible to the BIOS?

Typically if the setup cannot find a disk it will tell you this. Your error seems to indicate a hardware problem.

I suggest you confirm all your hardware is working, the disks are all detected and ok in the BIOS, then try again but make a note of what step you were on/finished if this or another problem crops up again.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/635616

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice