1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Problem loading page" on only one website

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sherrie777, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sherrie777

sherrie777 Thread Starter

Only on one web site: "Problem loading page" "Server not found" in Firefox. Also, does not work in IE.
    It is a bank website I have used for years...really need to use it :(
    My husband can get on the website fine with his laptop. Yes, I could use his laptop, but his screen is flickering out...deal with that next week.

Using Wireless router Linksys WRT54GS . When I plug directly to the modem, I can connect to the website.
    Found something on the internet about changing "MAC" address...looked complicated and a good way for me to really screw things up. I don't have a clue.
    I know how to access my control panel of the Linksys router. I did enable "MAC address clone"...don't know what that is...still can't get on that website.

Really would appreciate any help. Thank you!

2. oksteve

oksteve

Hi Sherrie, Best not go down the mac address route unless you have too.
    If your not seeing just one website then normally its the web server or site itself that is down. However if another net enabled machine can view it then its more likely a local problem.

Do you share the same router ?
    Have you updated its software recently ?

3. sherrie777

We are in a condo that shares the wireless router. I have control of the router.
    My laptop gets the error "Problem loading page" and only one website. Website is not down. A website I have used for years.
    My husband's laptop is using the same router of course and can see the website.
    When I walk upstairs to the router and plug directly in to the modem - I CAN access the website.
    I have not updated its software.
    Hope this helps make it clearer. Thank you.

4. oksteve

oksteve

I am assuming you have a PC and not a Apple Mac.
    If you have a Mac and Hubby has a PC then there can be conflictions with routers...Anyhoo. I would try updating the routers software .
    Use a Ethernet patch cable or any ethernet cable you have and connect your PC to the router. Type in the Firefox address bar http://192.168.1.1
    That hopefully should take you into the router. You may see on the page 'Connected' somewhere.
    I am not aware of what the layout of the Lynksys router page but if it asks for a password ignore it and just enter.
    Your looking for a link to updates, often it is on the left hand side.
    If you find it then just following instructions.
    It can mean downloading a small file, Remember where you save it to.
    As I said I have little knowledge of your router but there may be an option once you have downloaded your update, to 'add update'.
    Again follow instruction and you may need to browse to where that file is you downloaded.
    You will have to reset your router afterwords. This may be automatic.
    Hopefully that'll fix your problem. If not please come back.

5. sherrie777

Thank you very much for your advice!
    Both are PCs.
    I have access to my router on the wireless. No problem. I see it says "Firmware Upgrade". ??? I see where to upload the file. I will now try to find where to download the file.
    Do you think I should do a "hard reset" go back to default setting?

6. sherrie777

Well, I upgraded the firmware on the router, reset the router, turned everything off (including PC) and back on and still the same thing. I can not access the one website and my other computer can. I also cleared history, cookies, etc.

Not sure what to do at this point. If it wasn't such an important website for me to use, I would forget about it. It you have any other ideas, I will be watching. Thank you.

Edit:
    I can now access the pages of the site that do not start with https

7. oksteve

oksteve

8. sherrie777

I thought I posted earlier. Hope this does not duplicate.
    The links you gave me worked! :D Thank you OKSteve!
    However, very mysterious to me. Solution, I deleted all my "preferred networks".
    Here is what happened if it helps anyone.

__________________________ Info . Problem . Solution _____________________________
    Can not access one website a bank website. Accessed it for years on same PC and router etc. Can not access on Firefox or IE. Other laptop on same router CAN access the website. Website is NOT down.
    My info:
    XP
    router Linksys WRT54GS - updated firmware successfully - NO GO
    Reset modem, router and restarted PC - NO GO
    Disabled firewall and antivirus program - NO GO
    Scared to change MAC address...I am not that good at this.
    I CAN ACCESS the website if I go and directly connect to the router.
    I am not on another network. I have a SSID name and password protected. WPA Personal TKIP
    I don't think my IP is blacklisted because why would my other PC access it. (Can't use other PC for bank website...the screen is going out, too unreliable)
    Solution: cleared all preferred network connections. ???

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If one of your preferred wireless connections was a neighbor's perhaps you unknowingly were connecting to that instead of yours. That wouldn't explain why you had the problem, but would explain why it is now working after you made sure you are using your own network.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921183

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice