1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem loading XP PRO on a whiped 250GB HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jchowell, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jchowell

jchowell Thread Starter

I have a DELL Dimension 4700 Desktop, 250 GB Western Digital HDD w/1GB Dim.
    It was running and now and then shut down and sometimes re-boot.
    I tested the PSU and had no -5V output so replaced the PSU with same model.
    I Ghost wipe my HDD and found I had a bad sector when i tested it.
    Replaced with a new WD 250G HDD
    I have for several days been trying to load Windows XP PRO (OEM.ISO & just .ISO).
    The load will get into the 34 MIN Installation and dye (black screen).
    It will keep booting to the hit to boot from CD and want's to start the load again.
    Several times i have received the no NTLDR found, so go into Repair and copy it from the D:\ back to the C:\, several times have also gotten the Invalid boot .INI file.
    Have also received the C:\windows\inf\machine.inf. Checked DOS dir and found no faulty .inf file to delete.
    I am retesting the new HDD and it seems to be ok.
    I am starting to lean towards passably a bad MoBo.
    ANY IDEAS out there?:confused:

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Where did the ".ISO's" come from?

Have you tested RAM?

MemScope (Floppy and CD images.)
    Roadkil's RAM Test
    Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)
    Memtest86

If you have enough memory sticks, you can test them by removing one at a time and see if the problem disappears.

3. jchowell

jchowell Thread Starter

Elvandil,
    The ISO & OEM.ISO is from my CST/IT course at Ridgewater Collage. Have been used many times. Infact I just loaded XP on another PC a few days before i got this one.
    I have tried changing dimm's as well.
    I also have run Memtest86 x3 all passed.
    I have as well pulled the battery, held out for an hour and replaced with a new one.
    I have cleared both the CMOS and PSWARD (J8J2).
    Still at a loss. :confused:

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Don't hit the key on the first boot. It boots from the CD for only the first boot and then boots from the hard drive. If you press a key, it starts all over again.

Be sure that all hardware that is not needed for setup is removed. Itt's a good idea to remove your network card, too, if you can, or disable it in BIOS if possible. Make things as simple for setup as possible and install hardware later.

What is happening at the time it stops?

Is cooling working as it should? Make sure all vents are clear of dust.

Any previous problems with graphics?

5. jchowell

jchowell Thread Starter

OK, attempted to load XP once more, got like the past all the way to 29 min before completion and stops and re-boots.
    Will re-boot to the windows screen, go to continue installation, message flashes "not enough data or some thing like that and then re-boot again. It will do this cycle several times then boot past window screen and black screen.
    all added hardware has been removed.
    All fans are working for cooling.
    It has at times gone to a weird screen with vibrating horizontal lines over the text and freeze.
    I have run a graphics check program with my MICRO-SCOPE software and my universal diagnostic POST card. No problems found, short of the no -5V output from the PSU. However many new PSU's no longer use the -5V.
    :(

6. jchowell

jchowell Thread Starter

Have stooped to try the ancient 6 floppy disk boots from Microsoft, unfortunately disk 4 has a corrupted VGS.SYS file. Rebooted and now I get a loop back (dell screen, windows screen, tries to restart the download and post a message &#8220;the requested operation was unsuccessful&#8221; (this with out the CD). Next, with the CD it does the same but with &#8220;A write action was attempted to a volume after it was dismounted&#8221;. If I let it go it will continue to loop. Decided I would get into the recovery consul, however now it wants an administrator password. Gessssss. Will see what I can do with <software reference removed>. No go.
    Well, I attempted to get into the cd boot recovery counsel and am now getting a message to enter a Administrator password, which has never had before. Now i need a work around to get into the RC.
    any ideas? I have tried windows RC recovery cd, no go. Have tried PCLogin now and another password finder with no go.:mad:

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

The "squiggly lines" could be a problem with the monitor or the graphics card. If it were overheating it would still show no problems in tests.

You mentioned that you "wiped" the drive. What was the reason for that and how did you do it? Wiping is done to destroy a drive so that its contents can never be read agin. A drive that is going to be used again should never need to be wiped. We have had a few cases where wiped drives could never be used again (the purpose of wiping often).

Bad sectors rarely occur in isolation. One bad sector generally means that the drive is failing. You may have many more by now. Check the SMART status, too.

You could also try initializing the drive in another PC if it has no MBR remaining to see if that helps.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029592

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice