1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem loging in to specific user on a network computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Orurt, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orurt

Orurt Thread Starter

I am using Windows XP Pro SP3 on both my "Upstairs" Computer, and on my "Downstairs" computer. The Downstairs computer has two users "Guest" and "Geoff".

When I tried to access my downstairs computer from my upstairs computer it would only show "Guest" and that was grayed out. This account did not have a password so I could not enter one. It just cycled back to needing a password. So, I added a password to the Guest account and then was able to login. There was no way to select Geoff account instead of Guest. Unfortunately, I ticked the box for it to remember the password.

Now, when I go to access the downstairs computer it takes me straight into the Guest account, and there is no way to even start to try to select the Geoff account.

So, my two questions are:

1 How do I stop my upstairs computer from remembering the Guest account?

2 How do I set things up so I can choose which account I want to login to?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

On the XP PC (upstairs) Click Start | Run, type control userpasswords2 and click OK. Click the Advanced tab, then the Manage Passwords button.
    You should be able to delete the saved password for Basement.

Or Control Panel | User Accounts, click your account, then click Manage my Network Passwords under Related Tasks; gets you to the same place.

If the Basement PC is not listed there, then Windows is caching the login. Fastest way to flush that is to (on the upstairs PC) log off then log on, or reboot the upstairs PC.

If it still connects with the Guest account (Check to see which account is being used by doing this on the Basement PC: Right click My Computer, click Manage. Click Shared Folders | Sessions), then on the Upstairs PC:
    Close all windows
    Open a Command Prompt -- Start | Run -> cmd, press enter.
    Type Net Use press enter
    Check the remote column for \\Basement\C Drive and \\Basement\IPC$, or anything else starting with \\Basement
    If the local column has a drive letter associated with a \\Basement remote entry, type net use driveletter: /d
    If the local column is blank, type Net Use \\Basement\sharename /d
    Open Windows Explorer and try to connect to Basement -- you should be prompted for the Username/password, and can enter Geoff and the password.

HTH

Jerry

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753635

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice