1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem moving files from shared folders.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tomhopeparry, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tomhopeparry

tomhopeparry Thread Starter

Im having a strange problem that only came about recently.

Whenever I move folders from my shared folders ( Users/public/public documents for example) it copies the files instead of just simply moving them. The folders are on the same hard drive/partition so there does not seem to be any reason it should start doing this. I dont know what I could have changed on the computer to cause this to happen either. it is quite a frustrating problem however because large files take a while to transfer when they should be moved instantly.

If anybody could help I would appreciate it.

Thanks

2. Lance1

Lance1

What procedure are you using the move the folders? (Left click, hold and drag) (Right click, hold and drag and select move)

3. tomhopeparry

left click and drag

4. Lance1

Lance1

Try Right click, hold and drag and select move in the options.

5. tomhopeparry

nope, mostly the same effect. The only difference being that the file is removed from the shared folder. Either way... I used to be able to left click drag so something has changed on my computer. I just dont know what.

6. Lance1

Lance1

You could hold the SHIFT key then drag it to the new location. There's another thing you can do, create a bat file that will move a file or folder to any location you like. Right click the Desktop \ New \ Text Document
    Open the text doc and copy this into it;

where it says Set MoveTo="C:\" put the path to the new location, for example Set MoveTo="C:\Users\Public\Documents"

It should now read, and Note the spacing between the two lines.

Click file, save as, and name it Public Documents.bat Now press Windows key + R copy and past;

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

Into the run command and hit enter. Copy the Public Documents.bat into the Send To folder. Close the Send To folder. Now you can Right Click any File or folder anywhere on the system select Send To \ Public Documents.bat You can create as many .bat files as you like ("Naming them to the proper locations of course") to different locations on your system and place then in the Send To folder.

I found this online some time back. I love it.

7. tomhopeparry

This seems more of a workaround. I was really hoping to find a solution to get it back to how it was before.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!