1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem .NET 4 Security Update keeps failing

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Jay58, Aug 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jay58

Jay58 Thread Starter

Hi,

I received 1 security update (KB2539636) and 2 other updates (KB2468871 & KB2533523) for .Net framework 4 yesterday and all 3 keep failing. I ended up on a 'support' page after searching for solutions and here's how it went:

First I tried the Microsoft 'Fixit' tool but that didn't work.

I then tried using the .Net removal utility tool to remove all versions of .NET and then reloaded step by step but then had a problem with service pack 1.1 which wouldn't load no matter what I did.

I ended up having to do a system restore and from there tried a 'repair' on all versions via programmes and features uninstall / repair etc. and then tried to install updates again but still no joy.

I tried disabling my Kaspersky security software and tried again.

In the end I uninstalled version 4 but now have it waiting as an 'important' update to be downloaded - which will start the whole thing off all over again...

Can anyone suggest anything please.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Jay

System Info
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2310 @ 1.46GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2037 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family, 448 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 56999 MB, Free - 16033 MB; E: Total - 55970 MB, Free - 55758 MB;
    Motherboard: Intel Corporation, SANTA ROSA CRB, Not Applicable, Not Applicable
    Antivirus: Kaspersky Internet Security, Updated and Enabled

2. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
  3. Jay58

Jay58 Thread Starter

Thank you for your very speedy reply :) I'll do as you suggest and see what happens.

Jay

4. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Please run this small program then copy and paste the results here for the Tech's. This will help them help you better:)

http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

I believe when you signed up you had this option. Always good to have for the Tech's. You can click on the computer icon next to my name and see the info this supplies.

A good Anti-Virus program that is Free to use and is highly recommended here is: Microsoft Security Essentials. http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/mse.aspx

Also recommended:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

http://www.superantispyware.com/?tag=SUPERANTISPYWARE

Be sure to Update each before running your scans.

5. Jay58

Jay58 Thread Starter

Thank you CaptainRon for your help and advice, I've now updated so that my system info is in place.

I already have and have run Malware Bytes but I'll give the other antispy thing a go.

Further to my .NET 4 problem, I now have 2 security updates that won't install, as well as 2 other updates that fail. I don't know whether I should just uninstall version 4 and then hide any further updates or whether I should keep trying to solve the problem. The thing is, on my desktop pc, everything has installed with no problems at all and, up until this happened, I've had no problems with this laptop.

Any help or advice would be gratefully received from anyone who thinks they might have a solution.

Thanks in advance.

Jay

6. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Jay,

According to Flavellee, who helped me out with the same problem, .NET4 is not needed at this time. I would try uninstlling it and then hiding the updates that won't install. My problem is just the reverse of yours, as my laptop had no problems with the updates; but then it is using XP, whereas my desktop which also never had problems, now was not able to do these latest updates. Go figure.

I will keep my eyes open for any other cures to the problem we have here.

Good luck,
    Capt

7. GatewayLaptopGuy

GatewayLaptopGuy

Hello seems we are in a similar situation. Spent most of my morning trying to solve it.
    Here is my system specs:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , Service Pack 2, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T3400 @ 2.16GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3959 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 1852 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 238472 MB, Free - 118190 MB;
    Motherboard: Gateway , , 99.07 , QTFDQS84600979ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ
    Antivirus: Norton Security Suite, Updated and Enabled

Now I have found these updates in here http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/search.aspx?q=Security%20Update%20for%20Microsoft%20.NET%20Framework%204

I had to update these manually. Hasn't been an easy experience, but I seem to have found them all except Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (KB2533523)
    I hope to run across it today as I continue my search. Hope this helps in some way!

P.S. If I should NOT be doing this PLEASE tell me!

Ok after doing the 2 manually from the Microsoft website they no longer pop up in my updates after restart. Still dealing with the one though (KB2533523). If i manage to find will update here again for ya. Good luck this has been a headache, but it seems to be running fine for me.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1011950

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice