1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem Networking 2 computers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cutecow, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cutecow

cutecow Thread Starter

Hi,

My brother and I have been trying to network our 2 computers together. His being the master, mine being the slave. We have gone through and created it etc but it now says cable unplugged. We have tried reversing it by making mine master, still didnt work.

We used a friends laptop and the network works successfully both ways between his and my brothers, and his and mine. However when we put my brothers and my computer back in it says cable unplugged?

Anyone have any ideas?

2. CVDpr

CVDpr

Network Setup Wizard?

3. cutecow

cutecow Thread Starter

Hi,

Have already gone through the wizard. Also through the troubleshooter.

My brother and friend who are more advanced than me spent several hours last night re going through everything and still got nothing.

Thanks for the suggestion though,

Anything else?

4. cutecow

cutecow Thread Starter

Was told could be a compatibility problem. My brothers network card is: SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
    while mine is VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

Is there an issue with theese?

5. Jay_JWLH

Jay_JWLH

What about the operating systems. It may be possible to get Windows XP to work with Windows 95, but it would be trouble. And oh yeah, ive also got a computer that i wanted to do this with, but you should really make sure the little wires inside the network card are there because that problem prevented me from doing anything further. One last comment, what type of cable are you using. A crossover cable should be able to connect two computers directly. If you are just using patch cables, then they will work through a router. Overall i dont think the cable would matter if you have shown it works with another computer.

6. cutecow

cutecow Thread Starter

Hi Jay,

They are both on Windows XP Home Edition.

The network cards must be working as they connected to the laptop. Just dont seem to be communicating to each other.

We are using "Category 6 Ethernet Cable'.

I am totally stumped

Holly

7. cutecow

cutecow Thread Starter

Its me again,

I tried going through The wizard again and it says some hardware is disconnected. When I try on both computers.

Is this the cord? Or something else?

8. Jay_JWLH

Jay_JWLH

Well then maybe you could take a quick look at the device manager to see if the hardware is shown to be there. To do this, just go to the Control Panel -> System -> Hardware (tab) -> Device Manager. You should get a list of all the hardware components on your computer. It is most likely under 'Network Adapters'. You can right click on that hardware you are trying to get working, go to properties, and then check from there.

9. cutecow

cutecow Thread Starter

Will do that now Jay.

I ran diagnostics and my computer passed everything except email. However brothers failed:

[00524291] WAN Miniport (IP) (FAILED) - DNSServerSearchOrder (FAILED)
    Then there are two IP addresses one Passed the other:
    203.88.240.88 (FAILED)
    Pinging 203.88.240.88 with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Ping statistics for 203.88.240.88:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)

What does this mean? Is this the problem?

Holly

10. Jay_JWLH

Jay_JWLH

Well i dont think im experienced enough to know what that means. You will have to take the forums effect, and come back to this another time (long time from now). But i do know packet loss is a problem that all servers would like to remove, from past viewing experience.

11. cutecow

cutecow Thread Starter

Back again,

Device manager has it working fine.

So I dont know
    Holly

12. cutecow

cutecow Thread Starter

Ok Jay,

I guess its just a waiting game :(

Thankyou so much for trying to help me.

Holly

13. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

We are using "Category 6 Ethernet Cable'.

If this is a cable going from the ethernet card of one PC to the ethernet card of a second PC it has to be a "Category 6 Crossover Ethernet Cable".

It could be your friends computer has an autosensing NIC and thus was able to turn itself into a crossover but your 2 may not support this feature.

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What exactly do you want to do? Is this just a connection between two computers, or are you attempting to share the Internet connection as well? What determines which computer is the "master" and the "slave"? If you are sharing broadband and you have an Ethernet modem, consider a cheap broadband router, it makes the job painless.

15. cutecow

cutecow Thread Starter

Hi StumpedTechy,

Looks like we've got the wrong cord :( A simple solution. Thankyou very much. Will try and get a crossover cord tommorow

Thankyou very much

Hi JohnWill,

We at the moment just want to connect two computer's together to share files and go to the internet. My brother's computer is the master as it has more rams and ?megahertz? We reliese a router is the best options but $$$ at the moment are tight.

Thanks again to both of you
    Holly

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436152

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice