Problem of starting up pc

ajrboss

The problem with the pc is when i start the pc, it kept having Cmos wrong settings, and fixed that, but when it asked me to select profile to enter, once i selected profile. It stuck at Welcome screen for around 30mins to 2 hour, and go into Please Wait screen. Then it goes into black screen with no cursor and stuck there forever. All of the safe mode does the same thing as normal too. Sometimes the hard disk will go missing from the bootup too. So can anyone help me with this?

Attachments

TerryNet

Terry
Sometimes the hard disk will go missing from the bootup too. So can anyone help me with this?
Hard drive is probably defective. Run diagnostics on it if you want more proof before replacing it.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What computer is this? A branded machine?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Window 7.. quite old already.. the pc is mix matched. A freaking old machine xD
If anything the motherboard may have a diagnostic tool built in. But without any information on the motherboard, it will be hard to say.

ajrboss

If anything the motherboard may have a diagnostic tool built in. But without any information on the motherboard, it will be hard to say.
So is it most likely the motherboard or the hard disk that caused the problem? Or both of them? Since motherboard mostly controls the whole system.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The hard drive would be my first guess also. If you know the make of the drive, you should be able to find a bootable diagnostic tool that will boot up before windows does.

ajrboss

The hard drive would be my first guess also. If you know the make of the drive, you should be able to find a bootable diagnostic tool that will boot up before windows does.
Hmm.. i doubt i know it.. but I'll try to find it. Thanks tho. If i can't find it then I'll just replace both hard disk and motherboard..

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hard drive first. Make sure you have your Windows 7 installation media and product key to install it.

TerryNet

Terry
How to run diagnostics when the pc can't start?
You said in your post # 1 that the PC starts and you had trouble booting. If it now does not start at all then you have a dead power supply or motherboard.

ajrboss

You said in your post # 1 that the PC starts and you had trouble booting. If it now does not start at all then you have a dead power supply or motherboard.
What i am saying is.. it doesn't goes into where you can browse the items or where you can browse anything. So basically it starts but can't really click anything. Just black screen all the way.

ajrboss

Hard drive is probably defective. Run diagnostics on it if you want more proof before replacing it.
I tried running the chkdsk thing, it shows that it has bad sections, and alot of them. But it also seems that the motherboard is causing the cmos errors.

TerryNet

Terry
Window 7.. quite old already.. the pc is mix matched. A freaking old machine xD
I tried running the chkdsk thing, it shows that it has bad sections, and alot of them. But it also seems that the motherboard is causing the cmos errors.
I think it's time to say "goodbye" to this computer. If you are a do-it-yourselfer you've got some spare parts. Else dispose of it properly.

ajrboss

I think it's time to say "goodbye" to this computer. If you are a do-it-yourselfer you've got some spare parts. Else dispose of it properly.
R.I.P my long lived computer.. i think I'll just buy a new one soon. Thanks for the help tho.. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online