1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem opening folders

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SlyEnemy, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SlyEnemy

SlyEnemy Thread Starter

Hello all,
    Sorry to bother you with this, it may be as simple as cake on wheels but I can't seem to figure out what the hell is going on with my PC. It started last week, I went into the My Music folder and then subsequently into a band folder... The PC locks up. Explorer is running at 99. I quit explorer and re-run using the Task Manager. Try again. Same thing. I ignore it.
    Next day, the same thing happens again (different band) so I try a defrag (Thinking it might be a bad sector). Doesn't work. I try a Virus scan. Nothing.
    Again, I've been fiddling today but can't seem to figure out what on Earth is going on. Explorer has stopped pushing up to 99, but no matter what folder I go into in the My Music folder, I get a blank folder and a "Windows Timer" icon that eventually follows up with me pressing Ctrl-Alt-Delete and quitting out of it. The My Music folder seems to be running a little slower than usual, and Windows Media Player takes a good run up to get going.
    So does anyone have any idea as to what could be going on? Any suggestions at all?

Thanks for your help in advance

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Howdy,

Is this Windows Media 11?

And how big are the files?

3. SlyEnemy

SlyEnemy Thread Starter

This is Windows Media Player 11 and the files are a variety of sizes as it happens with all the music folders. They'll range from 2 Meg to 150+, but it doesn't seem to matter as the folders just won't open.
    Winamp and Windows Media Player can open the music files okay, I just can't get into the folders to, say, copy or move them.

4. tomsxp

tomsxp

5. SlyEnemy

SlyEnemy Thread Starter

Thanks for that. I actually think I've found the problem now, though I still don't quite understand why it's happening.

Basically, once I close Windows Media Player down, it stays in the processes section as wmplayer.exe. Once this is closed, everything works fine. I'm guessing a full reinstall of WMP will sort it out, but I can't be bothered so I'm using Winamp :)
    It doesn't do it all the time, but I have no idea why it does it when it does do it. It usually makes explorer go loopy aswell, so the problem could lie with that.
    Oh well, at least I can get to my music now :) Thanks again.

6. SlyEnemy

SlyEnemy Thread Starter

Apologies for the double post.

It's back again. I tried using the Unlocker program, but as the folders themselves won't open, it's useless. I can't get to the MP3/WMA files because as soon as I open the folder it just comes up blank with a timer icon. I'm starting to lose faith in the old Hard Drive :(

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541480

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice