Problem Opening .PSD File

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BarraGT

I accidentally deleted an important .PSD file I was working on.

I managed to recover it using some software, and it came back in its original file size (6.13MB). The file shows a preview when you select it in the "Open" dialogue in Adobe PhotoShop CS2, but when I try to open it, it tells me that the file is not supported by that version of PhotoShop.

It also will not open in Adobe ImageReady.

I tried viewing the file in IrfanView, and it comes up without any problems.

This is a huge problem for me, so any help would be massively appreciated.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
This might work/help ...
Tell Irfanview to save it as a tiff - then open the tiff in PS.
You've probably lost your layers.

I’m guessing you must need the layers or you could just “Save as” from Irfanview as a TIFF.

I tried a few things and nothing worked. Since TIFF can support layers I tried changing the extension. PS wouldn’t accept it. I also saved a PSD with layers from Irfanview as a TIFF and it lost the layers.

It would appear something in the file was corrupted in the recovery. You might give something like this a try: http://www.officerecovery.com/photoshop/

BarraGT

Yeah, I desperately need to get those layers back.

I tried that program, but it told me there was an "Internal Product Error".

Unfortunately, it looks like I won't be getting my file back, unless anyone has some other ideas?

Hola

Copy and paste your file in a different folder, rename it differently, and give it a try.

Good luck

BarraGT

uly7 said:
Hola

Copy and paste your file in a different folder, rename it differently, and give it a try.

Good luck
Nah, no good.

Damn...I can't believe it.

I would have thought it would be easy, since the data is still there and PhotoShop can genereate a thumbnail of it.

Can you post the image or is it to big?
You can use Free Image Hosting.

http://www.free-webhosts.com/free-image-hosting.php

But your need to find one that lets you upload .psd or .zip.
You can zip the .psd file up and upload it here too or a host.

Maybe it can be open with another image program so I can try if you can upload it.

Ok,

I've tried on a number of occasions and the layer is definitely there.

When photoshop tries to open the file, I am getting the message that the missing layer is in a format the Rhino 3D is using.

I have searched Rhino for the particular file type but have not been able to come up with the type of file yet.

I have been able to get PS to open the file only by over riding the incorrect layer type or by going into ACDSee and having it reconverted into PSD.

Both times the file size reduces to 3. something mb. I am losing the other layer by these actions.

I will keep looking to try find out the file type that the missing layer seems to have been morphed into.

PS. I tried to open the file in Rhino but the PSD element would not allow it.

Go Ford. Hee, heee.

BarraGT

deepdiver01 said:
Ok,

I've tried on a number of occasions and the layer is definitely there.

When photoshop tries to open the file, I am getting the message that the missing layer is in a format the Rhino 3D is using.

I have searched Rhino for the particular file type but have not been able to come up with the type of file yet.

I have been able to get PS to open the file only by over riding the incorrect layer type or by going into ACDSee and having it reconverted into PSD.

Both times the file size reduces to 3. something mb. I am losing the other layer by these actions.

I will keep looking to try find out the file type that the missing layer seems to have been morphed into.

PS. I tried to open the file in Rhino but the PSD element would not allow it.

Go Ford. Hee, heee.
Thankyou very much for your help on this, and for spending time on it, it's really appreciated!

LOL! I am actually a Ford supporter, but I got the job to do that site, so, I can't complain too much! :)

Not quite LOL. Maybe QSTMS.

In that case I'll try harder.

(My smilies aren't working. Maybe telling me it's time to go to bed).

Will try to find it in the morning.

Deep.

deepdiver01 said:
Ok,

I viewed the composite; there's an image of a rhino - are you sure it's from Rhino3D? I assumed that the 'rhino' referred to the layer name.

Either way, the only way to get it into Photoshop would be to import the data in a form that Photoshop supports, paths etc.

lister said:
I viewed the composite; there's an image of a rhino - are you sure it's from Rhino3D? I assumed that the 'rhino' referred to the layer name.
No. When I tried to open the file in PS, I got an error message that part of the image related to a Rhino 3D file.

So far, the only files I can find in Rhino are either their plug ins, JPEG's and BMP's. I just want to try and find the particular file it is telling me it cannot open, so I can see what type it is.

(Still haven't found it yet).

I seriously doubt it - I don't know of any way to import Rhino data into Photoshop - but if it could be done (for example importing spline curves as paths), it wouldn't affect the image; Photoshop doesn't link to outside data like Illustrator and Indesign, once it's in, it automatically becomes formatted.

BarraGT

There is a layer in there which is called "Rhino", and it is an .EPS file of a rhino that I placed on to the canvas, if that helps?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online