1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem opening specific programs

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by veribaka, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. veribaka

veribaka Thread Starter

My dad is a teacher, and to aid him he purchased a couple of dvd programs which install fine, without any problem, but then fail to open (perhaps due to the security system of the dvd). I was told by technical support that I am not allowed to have Daemon Tools and whatnot installed (which I don't) and that it was probably the firmware that didn't support this dvd's security program.

The DVDRW is a PHILIPS SDVD8441. Installed this firmware, but to no use.

There is amazingly no driver for this model at the Philips firmware/drivers website so I had to google for it.

Can anyone give me a hand here? My dad can't help but feel he wasted his cash.

PS. Apparently the same model of laptop was purchased by a friend teacher, and the program works fine on that. The guys at the store explained that it had more software and whatnot since it was a showcase model.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what happens when you try and open them

are they any prereqs on the DVD program box - thatyou need - like .NET

what are the programs called

what OS do you have XP ,, win98 -

3. veribaka

veribaka Thread Starter

Nothing at all, the program just won't load.

Nope, the only thing the box says is that some dvd players might not be compatible with the copyright protection program.

The programs are portuguese but :)...: Escola Virtual - Língua Portuguesa 5º Ano; Escola Virtual - Língua Portuguesa 6º Ano.

Win XP Home Edition.

4. PCG342

PCG342 Banned

It sounds to me like a case of "international DVD" problems... could be wrong.
    Region codes are... well... tricky. I can't think of a legitimate workaround.

5. veribaka

veribaka Thread Starter

Both the dvd and the laptop were purchasedin Portugal, and the company that made the dvd is portuguese as well, can that still happen?

6. PCG342

PCG342 Banned

Huh... then I don't know.

7. veribaka

veribaka Thread Starter

Hehe, me either :)

The technicians think it's something wrong with windows and are at the moment reinstalling it.

If that doesn't work, can anyone point me at some trustworthy place for firmware?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538761

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice