1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem pst files

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by wave1980, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wave1980

wave1980 Thread Starter

Hi there,

I recently converted a folder of emails into a pst file using the import/export wizard in Outlook 2003. When I tried to import them on my new system, however, an error showed saying: "The file ???/???/???.pst is not a personal folders file." However the systems reads that it is a pst file, it has the correct icon in folder view, and it seems to be the right size, approx 150MB, to hold my emails. I've put the pst file on my desktop and made sure doesn't have the 'read only' attribute ticked, and I've tried merging it with my new system via the import/export wizard and going through the File/Open/Outlook Data File route with the same result. The files don't appear to be corrupt when we've run software, though to be honest we haven't got proper "expensive" software, just a download from the internet.

Does anyone have any ideas as to where I go next?

Many thanks.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Did you per chance choose encryption when you exported? Or did you password protect it?

3. wave1980

wave1980 Thread Starter

I definitely didn't give it a password, and unless the encryption is an option that is already ticked, then no to that too.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I tried it earlier, and I believe that option is ticked. Can you export them again?

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You exported from Outlook 2003, correct? That means you have to import it into Outlook 2003 as well. You're not trying to use an older version of Outlook, are you?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491060

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice