1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem reading CDs and DVDs

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by chasgold, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chasgold

chasgold Thread Starter

Hello.

The CD/DVD +RW drive in my XP computer no longer recognizes or plays any of my disks. The problem persists after rebooting several times, reinstalling the drivers, and using the Microsoft Fixit program. Microsoft Fixit says there is a problem and can't fix it, but Device Manager says that the drives are operating properly. I have also tried the registry fix solution, called "cdgone", which was included in a previous TSG posting about a similar problem, but that doesn't work either. Can this problem be fixed with a software solution, or would it be better to buy a new drive?

Thanks for your help.

I have pasted in the TSG SysInfo file below.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+, x86 Family 15 Model 79 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 3006 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 233617 MB, Free - 112317 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc, 0UT226
    Antivirus: AntiVir Desktop, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. Firebreather

Firebreather

3. chasgold

chasgold Thread Starter

Firebreather,

I ran the Fixit program you referenced in the two links you sent me, but it could not fix the problem.

As for the software I use to burn CDs, my problem began after trying to copy a DVD using a program called A-One DVD Copy. I have used that program successfully in the past, but I uninstalled it after my computer stopped recognizing my CD/DVD drive.

4. Firebreather

Firebreather

Ok... Try with ImgBurn.
    Does it work?

5. chasgold

chasgold Thread Starter

Hi. I installed ImgBurn and clicked on the Verify Disk option. It shows that it found my CD/DVD drive but says the device is not ready because the medium is not present. I have tried putting several different CDs and DVDs in that drive, but I keep getting the same message.

6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Sounds like a faulty drive. Is the drive listed in Device Manager? You can try uninstalling the drive in Device Manager and reboot. Aside from that, faulty drive. Disc recognition is a hardware function of the drive itself.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

The besy way to make sure it is not a software problem is to try the burner from another operating system, like from a bootable CD or USB drive.

Parted Magic disk partitoning tool (Bootable CD image)
    If you prefer a bootable USB key, download and run Linux Live USB Creator. Choose the Parted Magic distro, and it will download it and automatically create a bootable USB key.

This CD (or key) contains many useful tools. You can partition, recover files, recover lost partitions, make disk images (by several different methods), transfer files between media, scan for viruses (It can serve as an Alternative Trusted Platform for search and elimination of rootkits and bootkits), examine and benchmark hardware, access the internet, and much more.

8. chasgold

chasgold Thread Starter

I created a bootable USB key, as you suggested, and opened Linux with it. However, I'm not not familiar with Linux and don't know how to check whether it is recognizing the media in my cd drive. Can you tell me how to do that? Thanks.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Put in a CD and check the file manager in the Start menu. You should be able to navigate to your drives. If the hard drives are there but not the optical one, that means it was not mounted and probably not working. If it is there, click it to see if you can see its contents.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025699

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice