Problem reinstalling hard drive disk

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

yatz_57

My secondery disk (2-year old, 60GB, IDE, transferred from my previous machine) started making really bad noises. It took me a couple of weeks to come to terms with, but finally (after it got to the chainsaw stage) I made backups, disengaged the elec. pin and went out and bought a brand new, SATA drive (my motherboard is IDE/SATA compatible). However... I suddenly realised I've forgotten to back up my most important data (the music library :eek: ).
Hoping for the best, I reconnected the old disk, and turned the computer on. First two tries - the dreaded clicking sound, Windows comes up but no second hard drive, just "click-click" sound affect. Third try - starts promising, disc working (noise and all), start-up sequence gets all the way to the "boot from disc" option - and then nothing, black screen. I tried again, a couple of times, but the result was the same.
Anyone has any ideas? I have a large part of the music backed-up, but a lot of it isn't (including all of my ripped vinyl collection). TIA

Take the drive out and stick it in the fridge for an hour so so, then try again.
This might introduce condensation on the drive as it heats back up, but I've had fair luck getting data off an otherwise dead drive by cooling it first, then blowing a fan on it while recovering data.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online