1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem reinstalling Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by barcar1, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barcar1

barcar1 Thread Starter

My hard drive crashed last week leaving a message on a black screen 'disk read error'.

I contacted tech support and they said that the hard drive might be bad and that I should try reformating it with the Windows XP disk.

I tried reinstalling Win XP. The first time I reformated the disk, it took several hours, but the program would not install. The second time, it also took several hours and I got a complex message about some problems. A short version of the highlights of the info is included below.

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

Technical info:

STOP: 0x0000007A (0xE10226D4, 0xC000009C, 0xBF9A5046, 0x02CE8860)

Physical memory dumped.

I have two questions: Should I simply try one more time to reinstall Win XP?
    Is it possible to reformat the hard drive in DOS mode resulting in any bad sectors being isolated as unusable but the rest of the drive space being formated as usable?

sorry this is so confusing. Hope it makes sense to someone...

barcar1

Computer: Dell Dimension 4400

2. Mulderator

Mulderator

Disconnect everything in your computer except the CD-ROM the hard drive and the video card (i.e., disconnect the other drives and or devices and take out any add in cards). Try installing again, but don't format the drive or use quick format.

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

I's suggest before you spend any more time on what sounds like a failing hard drive, you download the Dell Diagnostics and rule out drive failure

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486372

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice