1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem Reinstalling Windows

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sw00t, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sw00t

sw00t Thread Starter

Hello! Just recently I tried to reboot my computer when it got stuck in a cycle of rebooting itself. Everytime I tried to start it it would take me to the screen asking if I wanted to boot with safemode, last known good configuration, etc. I tried booting in safemode, but it didn't work. I tried doing all of them but none of them were successful either. I decided it would probably be easier to just reinstall Windows and get a brand new start.
    So I popped in my Windows XP disk, booted from the CD, and heres the tricky part. When I press "enter" to continue with the installation, a message in the bottom says , "Examining 190780 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi..." and stays there. I've had to reinstall windows before and I don't remember it ever getting stuck on this stage. Maybe I'm being impatient? But I left it on overnight to see if it was just a long process, but the computer still had it on in the morning. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

Matt

2. OctanSenator

OctanSenator

Just fdisk and leave it with no format, boot your xp cd , if the disk is on a RAID controller make sure you have the latest driver ready and hit F6 to install it.

Fo rhelp on using fdisk, clicky clicky here: http://www.onecomputerguy.com/install/fdisk.htm

3. sw00t

sw00t Thread Starter

Sorry if this sounds rather noobish, but how would I go about actually starting Fdisk? I've read via the command prompt, but I'm not exactly sure how to bring the cmd prompt up at this stage. Thanks

4. OctanSenator

OctanSenator

Have a look at the link again and scroll down a bit to the Overview & Getting Started section, taht should help you.

5. sw00t

sw00t Thread Starter

I've checked it out and haven't really found a solution.. The computer doesn't have a floppy drive, so I tried the CD option..burned the ISO file to a CD and tried to start it with that, but it just gives me a black screen on startup... Ahhh, not sure where to go from here.. Input is appreciated. Thanks

6. OctanSenator

OctanSenator

Hmmm, kinda out of ideas i'm afraid, sorry that didn't work.

Hope someone else can be more of a help...

7. valis

valis Moderator

sounds like you haven't either created a partition or formatted the disk. Have you done that yet?

8. sw00t

sw00t Thread Starter

Nope, All I've done is tried reinstalling Windows, tried booting into various modes, and just recently tried the recovery mode. All of which have failed. I'm not exactly sure how I could do either of those things either. Thanks for the replies!

9. valis

valis Moderator

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536068

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice