1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem removing AVG software

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by babylonpink, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. babylonpink

babylonpink Thread Starter

I am trying to install an updated version of my Kaspersky Anti Virus but the installation is interrupted because it is seeing a unused version of AVG. When I try to remove the program via the control panel I get the following message.

Installer initialization failed due to following error:
    Error: Initialization of the language file "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\setup.lns" failed.
    General failure.

Kaspersky said to contact AVG and AVG have been no help. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

2. golferbob

golferbob

i never had much of a problem uninstalling avg . you may need to reinstall , restart , uninstall ,restart ,use your search for files & folder program and search for any avg files and delete them , restart . then try to install the new one.

3. rka0

rka0 Banned

4. DaMoose

DaMoose

You have the location of the file listed in the error. Go into dos mode, and manually delete the file there. If any more errors arrise, dealing with AVG, they too will let you know where the file is. Manually remove them. It may take a little time, but it's safer than trying to figure out which tool over the internet to use. Dooing a google search on the issue, brought me to 6 different pages with a fix. Only problem, they either wanted money, or a membership to the site. Sorry, my hands are full enough (and my computer) to spend or join any more groups. Hope this helps.

5. new tech guy

new tech guy

Step one is to install avg free. If this error is coming from the avg uninstaller posible download the latest version o it and run its setup program which should give an option just to remove the avg program. If kapersky still detects avg you could try the windows installer cleanup tulity from here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 Do this only after the program is successfully removed but the error persists. Download, run the utility (have to navigate through to its directory in C:\program files for some odd reason but anyway run the utility then look for any avg entry left in the machine and run the utility on that. Now close that and attepmt to install kapersky again.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    1. Go into C:\Program Files and then delete the entire Grisoft folder.

2. Click Start - Run, type in SYSEDIT and then click OK. Go into the AUTOEXEC.BAT file and delete any command lines for AVG. After you're done, click File - Save - File - Exit.

3. Click Start - Run, type in REGEDIT and then click OK. Click the + in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    Software

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    Software

In the Software sub-menu of both, look for a Grisoft folder. Right-click directly on that Grisoft folder and then click Delete - Yes.

4. Click Start - Run, type in MSCONFIG and then click OK - "Startup" tab. Remove the checkmark from any entries that start with avg. Click Apply - OK.

5. Restart your computer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7. babylonpink

babylonpink Thread Starter

Thank you everyone, I followed golferbob's advice and downloaded the latest avg and then uninstalled it and it worked fine. I think the first installation had failed and was two years old and that's why it was difficult to uninstall. My first time using tech guy and hugely impressed with the response, thank you very much.

8. new tech guy

new tech guy

Glad to hear your problem is solved. To mark this solved, please go to thread tools at the top of this page and click mark solved. Then click perform action. That will mark this thread solved. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643812

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice