1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem renaming a directory

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by waltermelon, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. waltermelon

waltermelon Thread Starter

I renamed a directory and created a new shortcut to the executable. But, after I renamed it, I could not get into the software. Double-Clicking on the executable would flash the hourglass and then nothing. I was able to start the program from the backup CD with no problems.

When I renamed the directory back to what it was I was able to execute the program.

Why would that happen and is there a setup/control file on the computer that is incorrect? A registry issue of sorts? I have renamed the directory for this software multiple times on other computers with no problems whatsoever.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

If you installed a piece of software into a certain directory, it makes several registry entries that require the directory name to be the same as you installed. If you want it in a different directory, uninstall it and reinstall the application.

3. waltermelon

Unfortunately, that is not the case with this software. Because I have installed, tested and trained on over 100 different machines I have had to change directory names and such many times before. The software can be copied from one machine to the next with no installation process necessary and no registry keys ever entered. It has never had a problem running when the default installation directory has been changed or the user changed the default installation directory to something non-standard (like spaces in the name). Because I see so many users I prefer to have the default directory name so I don't have to hunt for it when I need to so I always change the directory back to the default. This one user installed it under a different directory, but nothing that would indicate a problem. I am thinking it has to do with some kind of rights issue with the user rather than with the software itself.

Addendum - could it be possible that some process within the software is somehow remaining open or is locked? Is there a utility I could run to see just what files/processes are used when running the software (not the task manager which shows everything)?

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Process Explorer by Sysinternals. Would like to know what software you are having problems with.

5. waltermelon

Thank you for the info. This is such an odd situation, now I have to convince the user that it's not the software.

It's a software program written by the company I work for and it's written in FoxPro 7.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486929

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice