1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem reverting back to IE 6

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bicycle bill, Mar 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned Thread Starter

My neighbor wants to go back to IE 7. I tried the accepted way ctrl panel>add-remove and the remove hit a snag. I get the following message with an added problem. What in tarnation is going on?

Set cannot copy the file ieeula.chm.

Now I no longer have all my tool bars in IE only the address bar and Links and no way to turn the rest on or access.

2. Joanyoung

Joanyoung

Give this a try

1. Click Start, click Run, type %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe, and then click OK.

Note In this command, %windir% points to the Drive:\Windows folder. The placeholder Drive represents the hard disk partition that contains the Windows operating system files.

By default, the IE7 folder is a hidden folder. Therefore, you may have to make this folder visible. To do this, follow these steps: a. Open Windows Explorer.
    b. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
    c. Click the View tab.
    d. In the Advanced settings list, under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.

2. Follow the wizard instructions to uninstall Internet Explorer 7.
    3. After you uninstall Internet Explorer 7, double-click the Internet Explorer icon to verify that Internet Explorer 6 is restored.

joan

3. bicycle bill

Thanks and i will certainly try that when the lady comes home today and let you know if i am sucessful.

4. bicycle bill

Well i am late getting back to you because my neighbor was out of town for several days.
    The fix did not work however. THe same dam thing happened. Cannot copy ieeula.chm. Had to cancel and then do a system restore again to get Windows running.What the hey can i do now. Her toolabar as i said is missing favorites,file, edit etc. Cannot right click and add or remove anyything. I have searched Google and found no one with this particular set of circumstances.

5. big.ando

big.ando

My Helpdesk admin at work made me aware of cleaning the registry of anything IE7 related before trying to reinstall IE6. Possibly used a program like RegClean after you uninstall the program to ensure that anything IE7 related has been removed from the system, then attempt the install of IE6 from scratch.

I have no idea if this will keep anything such as favourites or history, but it's worth a shot.

Peaceout ^_^

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/549152

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice